Chapter Twenty

"Who knew having a job was gonna be so boring?" Steve questions as he leans against the counter, his arms folded over his chest, "And why are we working so late? I wanna go home," He complains.

     You chuckle, rolling your eyes playfully, "Oh, stop whining," you begin as you fix his little sailor hat, "It's life." You continue as you grab a sampling stick, and open the small freezer next to Steve, "Plus, we get all of the ice cream we want. It's not that bad," You finish as you scoop some cookie dough ice cream from one of the various tubs.

     He sighs, wiping something off of his cute sailor uniform, "Doesn't seem worth it," He mumbles as he begins walking to the back room.

     "Aww, poor Stevie," You tease as you follow behind him, Robin walking past you to run the register. "It could be worse." You say before licking the ice cream off of the sample stick.

     He takes a seat at the small table in the middle of the room and looks up with his best bitch face. "I guess that's true. I mean, we're not fighting interdimensional monsters."

     "See, that's the spirit!" You chuckle as you take a seat in front of him, "And this is just one of many steps. We're adults, we're almost free. We can do almost whatever we want. This job isn't permanent," You shrug, throwing the stick and hoping it lands in the trash can in the corner.

     He lays his head on the table and lets out a sigh, "I don't wanna be a grown-up."

     You chuckle and lean back in the chair, "Yeah, it sucks, but there's nothing we can do."

     He glances up, a tired look on his face. "Thanks, that makes it so much better, Zee."

     Before you can say anything, the bell near the cash register rings repeatedly, "Hey, dinguses, your children are here," Robin's voice is heard over the ringing.

     Steve looks up at you almost asking if you'll take care of them, but you shake your head no. "Nuh-uh. I did it last time," You point to the closed window that will allow you to see what's going on in the front of the infamous Scoops Ahoy!

     He lets out a grumble as he walks to the window and opens it, "Again? Seriously?" He questions. One of the kids hits the bell again, which causes you to chuckle. He closes the window as the kids walk behind the counter and through the door to the "break room."

  You smile up at the group of kids consisting of Lucas, Max, Mike, and Will. Too bad Dustin isn't with them. You miss that kid so much that it's crazy. Steve misses him too. You guys talk about him often.  He went off to this summer camp for something even too nerdy for you.

   "Don't piss yourself, kiddos," You joke as they walk past you, earning small chuckles, "I heard that movie's pretty scary."

  "Oh, please, Zee. Like we'd be scared of a movie after what we've been through," Lucas says as Steve opens the secret door for them to sneak into the movie for free.

  "Good point, kid." You nod as they walk through the doorway.

  "I swear if anybody hears about this—" Steve is cut off by the group.

  "We're dead!" They all finish for him.

Steve sighs as he closes the door behind him, locking it, "Those kids are gonna be the death of me," He speaks as he takes a seat next to you.

  You pat him on the back, "That's probably true, but you love 'em," A smile creeps up on your lips.

  Steve just rolls his eyes. "Yeah, whatever."