Chapter Eleven

You and Steve are unloading the meat filled buckets as Dustin moves away for a second, talking to someone.

"Well, well, well, look who it is." He says as Steve grabs an empty backpack. "Well, while you were having sister problems, Dart grew again, he escaped, and I'm pretty sure he's a baby Demogorgan." He continues as you watch Steve above his baseball bat into his backpack. "I'll explain later. Meet me, Steve, and Zero at the old junkyard. And bring your binoculars and wrist rocket."

  Steve stands up, throwing his backpack over his shoulder. There are two buckets of meat, and only four gloves. There's no way you're throwing out meat and getting your hands dirty when Dustin is the one who didn't kill the damn thing.

"Just be there, stat. Over and out." Dustin orders as you pick up the bucket.

"You're gonna carry it for me?" Dustin questions as Steve starts walking.

"Nope." You hold it in front of his face with a smile.

He sighs and grabs the handle. "I've missed you, Zero."

~~

You're all walking down the old train tracks as the two boys throw down meat every once in a while. Dustin is ahead of you and Steve.

"All right, so let me get this straight." Steve says, throwing some chunks of meat down. "You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who...who you just met?"

"A girl? You kept it to impress a girl?" You question. You weren't told that part.

"All right, that's grossly oversimplifying things." Dustin points out as he throws some meat.

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve questions.

"An interdimensional slug? Because it's awesome." Dustin answers in a somewhat excited tone.

You shake your head. You like Dustin. He may be your favorite out of the others, but he's one weird kid.

"Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I...I just...I don't know. I just feel like you're trying way too hard." Steve says as Dustin falls back with the two of you.

"Well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?" Dustin looks down as he throws some meat on the ground.

"It's not about the hair, man. The key with girls is just...just acting like you don't care." Steve sounds like he's giving a speech.

You chuckle as you shake your head. He may be good with girls, but not that good. Steve doesn't know exactly what girls want.

"Even if you do?" Dustin questions, looking up at your best friend.

"Yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts." Steve answers.

"Then what?" Dustin asks. Is he really buying into Steve's advice?

"You just wait until, Uh.." He pauses, dropping a piece of meat. "Until you feel it."

"Feel what?" The kid asks.

  "It's like before it's gonna storm, y'know? You can't see it, but you can feel it, like this, Uh..." He looks over at you for help. There's no way you're helping him with this. Steve looks back down at Dustin. "Electricity, y'know?

"Oh, like I'm the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere—" As Dustin rambles a bit, you place your hand on his shoulder.

"Not that kind, kid." You tell him.

"Yeah, no. Like a...like a sexual electricity." Steve says, throwing some meat down.

You smack Steve's arm. "Ow!" He glares at you. "What the hell?"