Chapter Twenty Seven

Unedited

After Nancy drifted the car like a maniac and parked in front of the grocery store, you all barreled out of the thing. Nancy picks up a huge rock and throws it into the glass door, shattering it. You're walking behind everyone else just in case the Mind Flayer somehow pops out of nowhere. During the car ride, Mike told you what happened to El and how the Mind Flayer grabbed her by her leg. You can't have another situation like that.

Nancy and Jonathan walk in, Mike and Max, who are holding El by each arm walk in next and then Will, Lucas, and yourself.

"All right, set her down and I'll see what I can do." You say, Max and Mike doing as they're told, setting her against a shelf.

They stay by her side as you kneel in front of your little sister. You go to her right leg, studying the blood stains on her long socks. You messed up again. Mike was right, you should have been in there with them. You were so focused on protecting them and buying them time, that you let common sense slip past you. Now, El has to suffer for it.

You pull down her sock and then gently pull up her pant leg. There are four deep cuts surrounding a gaping hole. Blood oozes out of the middle wound as El groans in pain.

"Oh, shit." Max utters upon laying eyes on the wound.

Your hand hovers above the wound before you close your eyes and let out a deep breath. When your eyes open again, you move your hand to see that nothing happened.

"What the hell?" You question, trying again.

When your eyes open, the wounds are still there. You swallow hard, standing up. What's happening? Are your powers somehow gone? If they're gone, how can you kill the damn Mind Flayer? How can you protect the kids and Nancy and Jonathan? How can you protect El?

"Zee, what are you doing? Fix it!" Mike says, worry filling his voice.

"I tried," You begin, running a hand through your hair, "but it's not working!"

"Try again!" Mike's voice raises an octave.

"I've tried twice, Mike! Nothing is happening!" You give the voice right back to him.

"What—what does this mean? Are your powers gone?" Max asks.

God, you hope not. That would be the worst timing ever. You focus your power on a box of Ziploc bags, causing them to float in midair. So, your powers are fine, they're just not working on the wound. You set the box down, biting your lip.

"See, your powers still work, so what's the problem?" Mike sasses.

You turn your attention to him as Nancy grabs some things from the shelf behind you. "The problem is that the Mind Flayer is strong."

"So?" Mike inquires.

You scoff, "So, he can fight my mind control and the ability to see his memories, which means—"

"He's strong enough to stop Zero from healing Eleven." Will finishes for you.

"How is that even possible?" Lucas asks.

You shrug, "That looks like a bite," you begin as Nancy kneels where you were, "and as we know bites can transfer sicknesses and stuff."

"Great." Mike shakes his head as Nancy opens a box and brings out a bandage.

"What—what—Hey, what are you doing?" Max asks.

"I'm cleaning the wound." Nancy answers.