Chapter Thirty Six

Unedited. I decided to give you guys a new chapter while I fix the old ones!

"I miss you so much, El." You state, twisting the telephone cord around your fingers. "Billy and the others helped fix up Hop's cabin. It looks like it did before the mind flayer."

"That is great! I can't wait to see you. I miss you so much, too!" El's voice seems filled with excitement.

A small smile grows on your lips. She's getting better at speaking. She's so damn smart. "I have something to tell you and Joyce when Mike and I get there. Something pretty exciting."

"I can't wait to hear it." You can hear the smile in her voice.

"How's school going?"

For a moment she hesitates. "It is really good. I have lots of friends and I am getting very good grades." Something in her tone sounds off, as if she doesn't believe her own words.

You decide not to push it, "That's great, El! I'm so proud of you!"

Steve walks in front of the counter, holding a stack of VHS' that were once in the return box. You glance over at Robin who is checking the movies in from her list. Though you'd love to sit and talk to El all day, you have to get back to work.

"I have to get back to work. I'll call you later. Okay?"

"I will be looking forward to it." She says.

"I love you, kiddo." You smile.

"I love you as well. Bye, Zee." With that she hangs up and you do as well.

Steve makes it to the counter in front of you and places down the remaining tapes. He rests his chin on his hand and speaks, "What's the special news you have to tell El?"

Without thinking, you spew out the secret you were waiting to tell, "That I'm pregnant." You turn toward the computer, silence filling the room as you realize what you just said. Your eyes grow wide as you turn to look at Steve who's eyes are as wide as golf balls and then to Robin whose jaw seems to almost reach the floor.

"I—what?" Robin questions.

"That was supposed to be told at a better time." You admit, biting your bottom lip afterward.

Your eyes find Steve again. He's frozen in the same place. You wave a hand in front of his face, "Stevie? You okay?"

"I think you killed him." Robin jokes before hopping over the counter next to Steve and giving him a nudge.

Instead of him coming back to the real world, he begins to tip. To assure he doesn't hit the floor in the empty building, you use your powers to catch him, but he falls anyway. Your eyebrows grow close together as you glance down at your hands.

"Wake up, dingus!" Robin sing songs. She glances up at you, "Can you grab a cup of water?"

You gulp, shoving your hands in your pockets and nod, "Yeah I can do that."

You waste no time hurrying to the break room. Your heart is racing as you make it. That just had to have been a small mess up, right? You take in a deep breath, focusing on the off-white cabinets that test above the sink. With all your might you command the doors to open, but nothing. You shake your head and focus on the handles of the sink, attempting to turn them so that water pours out of the faucet, and still, zilch. Your lips part, your breath getting caught in your throat.

You can't focus on that right now. You grab the small cup next to the sink and fill it with cold water before making it to Robin and Steve. Steve is just laying on the carpeted ground, his eyes closed. Robin takes the glass and dumps the water in Steve's face. He shoots up, taking in deep breaths as water drips down his cheeks and lashes.