20| Can You Turn into an Antelope?

Hartley tugs on my hand, I pick her up and she wraps her little arms around my neck

Hartley tugs on my hand, I pick her up and she wraps her little arms around my neck. "I'm hungry," she whispers.

"Guys what are we going to do for food?" I forgot all about that problem. "We can't go back out there, we'll get caught."

"You poor souls," Omar snorts. "You'll be stuck in here."

Forgetting that he can go invisible, I roll my eyes at his childish behavior. But he would be useful, though I don't know if we can trust him with that responsibility or any responsibility for that matter.

"You could go out there too," Cash reminds me.

"I forgot you could shape shift!" Omar's eyes widen. "Can you turn into an antelope?"

"Antelope?" I cock an eyebrow at him. "Why an antelope?"

"I've always wanted to see one." He gasps dramatically, "what about a human?" He looks like a child that just got told they can stay up past their bedtime. "Oh my gosh, Princess, can you transform into me?"

"Seriously can you shut up?" I hiss. I really think that there's a five year old trapped inside of him. If we were in any other situation I might have found this hilarious. "And this is serious, we're in a life or death situation, Omar."

He shrugs but doesn't bring down his excitement. I've never gotten to explore my possibilities. I lift my shaky hands, flexing my fingers, as if I were preparing for something. I inhale deeply, trying to clear my mind.

It's been so long since I've attempted to use my ability. I guess I don't consider it a gift anymore, more of a curse. I concentrate, focusing my mind. I feel my energy depleting, which means it's working.

I open my eyes, and the room seems to spin. I stumble back, tripping into Decklin's strong arms. I stand and take deep steadying breaths. Omar stares at me, his child-like grin dropping from his lips. I look down at my hands, worn with hair leaching out from under my sleeves.

I touch the gritty stubble on my chin, an excited fear flowing through me. I now tower over the little ones, Hartley gazes at me with eyes filled with confusion. I kneel down, "It's still me Hart," my deep, masculine voice startles me, but her flat lips curve into a grin. I stand and turn to Omar, but he's not there.

"Omar, stop fooling around!" I growl.

"I'm right here princess," his face pops up right in front of me, the tip of his nose barely six inches away. I jump, letting out a soft shriek.

"I swear Omar, do it again and I'll take you to the police. The reward money would do us good," That's when it occurred to me. Money. We have none, which means we can't pay for food. I methodically construct a plan, Omar snorts at my concentrated face, but I shrug it off.

Omar and I slip through the doorway and into the damp alley. The sun beams in the middle of the sky, indicating it's about 1 p.m. I scan the dusty, bland town in search of a small shop of some sort. An old worn down sign that reads Food! catches my eye. I start to walk towards it, but remember Omar.