26| A Cult? Really?

I decide to start with the one I know the least about, which is Taylee

I decide to start with the one I know the least about, which is Taylee. All I know is that she's from Italy, and that's basically it. I wish I was more friendly towards her from the start. She's sitting on the couch in the recreation room, a book in hand. Pride and Prejudice. This might be easier than I thought.

"I love that book," I shove the words off my tongue, and catch myself wishing I had tied a rope around them. She looks up, a little startled. Looks at the cover like she forgot what she was reading.

"Oh yeah," she gives me a shy smile and her eyes fall back on the words written so carefully, thoughtfully.

"I'm sorry to bug, but I just feel like we don't really know each other. I want to change that," these words fall more confidently. She looks at me, a bit confused that I'm even acknowledging her.

"Okay..." she slides over, making room for me to sit. I smile a true genuine smile. As soon as we get chatting, her body relaxes, her words are comfortable. She talks to me like I'm an age old friend she hasn't seen in years, and my smile hasn't budged from its place since it came.

Her mother also went missing, just like mine. We talk for another hour, giggling about her family, reminiscing about our mothers, just enjoying each other's company. She's a brilliant girl, with hopes and dreams.

The way she uses her words to paint pictures is truly fascinating. I leave her with her book, and head out in search of Trinity.

•••

I see her through the window sitting outside. I push the door open carefully, trying not to startle her. The crack in the door lets in a sound enchanting and beautiful. Singing. She's singing.

I never knew she had such a beautiful voice. My heart melts as I listen to her harmonious words dancing along a melody only she knows. I close the door, open it more violently this time.

She jumps a bit, but relaxes when she sees my face. I won't mention her singing. Not to her or anyone else.

"Hey," I wave and sit next to her.

"Hey," she says, her voice shaky and nervous. Her hood is covering her face as she picks blades of grass from the ground.

"How are you?" she asks, startling me a bit.

"Oh, uh, I'm good. Thanks," I sputter, "You?"

She shrugs. I notice a patch of dainty little daisies just to the right of me. I lean over and pluck a handful, careful not to damage the pedals.