First mission

(Y/N) POV

I sit here on the mountain wondering

'Could I ever be happy again? Will I ever be at peace?'

My thoughts were interrupted by the sky changing colors. It became a pretty light blue with pastel pink and vivid purple streaks. I start to slowly make my way back to the small cabin, I walk in the door to see a sleepy Tanjiro.

"Good morning (Y/N)" Tanjiro yawns

"Morning" I say back

'I wish I could be happy, I wish I could just smile. Any expression will do at this point, but nothing ever happens, I still have this blank emotionless expression no matter what.' I thought as I watch him get up exited to do training with a huge grin spread across his face.

"Ah! Hello sensei Urokodaki!" Tanjiro happily says.

"Ah (Y/N), I'm exited to see what makes you so special." Urokodaki says with a hint of excitement

"I don't like training." I bluntly say

"WHAAAAA HOW DID YOU SURVIVE FINAL SELECTION!?" Tanjiro yells

"Ah I see, then you may spend the days you are with us however you want. I kind of expected you to say that anyways from the report I read about you." Urokodaki says hinting Tanjiro to not ask anymore questions.

"What report?" Tanjiro curiously asks not getting the hint.

"Nothing, now let's get to training." Urokodaki says as Tanjiro grabs a wooden box with arm straps.

'I'm not even going to ask what's in there'

Time skip

(Y/N) POV

A few days have passed and I've just been waiting for my sword to come.

Tanjiro walks in with another man wearing a strange mask, but it's not Urokodaki this time.

"HE HAS OUR SWORDS!" Tanjiro happily exclaims

We all sit down, he starts to explain how swords change colors.

Tanjiro pulled his sword out of the sheath and it slowly turns black. The guy who crafted the swords got mad since he wanted it to turn red.

I then draw my sword from its sheath, it also starts to turn black. But the red stripes start to appear.

'Looks like the color of blood, and it almost looks like the knife my father killed my mother with.' I thought as I got chills just remembering what happened

Everyone stared at me for what seemed forever.

"Wow! (Y/N) yours has a pattern! How did you do that." Tanjiro asks

"Well it's not a surprise to be fair." Urokodaki and the other man say at the same time

"What do you mean?" Tanjiro asks them

"Don't worry about it." I quickly say not wanting him to find out what happened in the five year time gap.

He just shrugs it off and stares at his sword longer when I have already put mine in the sheath.

'Ugh my sword just had to remind me of that horrid night' I thought as pictures flashed into my head.

He decided to start training with his new sword right away while I went to a secluded area further up the mountain.

I take my sword out of the sheath.

'I'll need to use it eventually, I just need to get over it already' I thought as I stare at the sword only being able to imagine the knife my father used to kill my mother.