Chapter 7 - Howard

Tony had finally told me what was going on with him....he was dying. I was pissed off...but more concerned.

"That thing in your chest is based on unfinished technology." Fury points.

"No, it was finished. It has never been particularly effective until I miniaturised it and put it in m..."

"No. Howard said the arc reactor was the stepping stone to something greater. He was about to kick off an energy race that was gonna dwarf the arms race. He was on to something big, something so big that it was gonna make the nuclear reactor look like a triple-A battery." Fury says.

"Just him, or Anton Vanko in on this too?"

"Anton Vanko is the other side of that coin. Anton saw it as a way to get rich. When your father found out, he had him deported. When the Russians found out he couldn't deliver they shipped his ass off to Siberia and he spent the next 20 years in a vodka-fuelled rage. Not quite the environment you want to raise a kid in, the son you had the misfortune of crossing paths with in Monaco." Fury nods.

"You told me I hadn't tried everything. What do you mean I haven't tried everything? What haven't I tried?"

"He said that you were the only person with the means and knowledge to finish what he started." Fury says.

"He said that?" Tony looks up.

"Are you that guy? Are you? 'Cause if you are, then you can solve the riddle of your heart."

"I don't know where you get your information, but he wasn't my biggest fan." Tony sighs.

"What do you remember about your dad?"

"He was cold, he was calculating. He never told me he loved me. He never even told me he liked me, so it's a little tough for me to digest when you're telling me he said the whole future was riding on me and he's passing it down. I don't get that. You're talking about a guy who's happiest day was when he shipped me off to boarding school." Tony says loudly.

Fury shakes his head, "That's not true."

"Well, then, clearly you knew my dad better than I did."

"As a matter of fact, I did. He was one of the founding members of Shield." Fury smiles.

"What?" I ask.

"I got a two o'clock"

"Wait, wait, wait, wait. What's this?" Tony asks.

"Okay, you're good, right?" Fury turns to leave.

"No, I'm not good."

"You got this? Right? Right? Help your brother with this...and
Y/N? We'll be watching you." Fury nods.

"Got what? I don't even know what I'm supposed to get."

"Natasha will remain a floater at Stark with her cover intact. You remember Agent Coulson, right?" Fury asks.

"Yeah."

"And Tony, remember, I got my eye on you too." Fury leaves.

"We've disabled all communications. No contact with the outside world. Good luck." Natasha smiles and leaves.

"Please. First thing, I need a little bodywork. I'll put in a little time at the lab. If we could send one of your goon squad down to The Coffee Bean, Cross Creek, for a Starbucks run, or something like that, that'd be nice." Tony says to Coulson.

"I'm not here for that. I've been authorised by Director Fury to use any means necessary to keep you on premises. If you attempt to leave or play any games, I will tase you and watch Supernanny while you drool into the carpet. Okay?"

"I think I got it, yeah." Tony nods.

"Enjoy your evening's entertainment." Coulson smiles as I wave at him.

I sit with Tony in his workshop, staring at the video of our father.
"Everything is achievable through technology. Better living, robust heath." Tony is flicking through a notebook as the video plays. "and for the first time in human history, the possibility of world peace. I'm Howard Stark, and everything you'll need for the future can be found right here. City of the Future? City of Tomorrow? City of... I'm Howard Stark and everything you'll need in the future can be found right here. So, from all of us at Stark Industries, I would like to personally... Tony, what are you doing back there? What is that?" Little Tony has picked one of the buildings up off the model. "Put that back. Put it back where you got it from. Where's your mother? Maria? Go on. Go, go, go, go."

I smile as I watch our father get frustrated. "All right, I think we got..."

"I'll... I'll... I'll come in and..." The video changes.

"Are you waiting on me?" A man asks as Howard drinks. Looks like whiskey. Video changes again.

"So, from all of us at Stark Industries, I'd like to personally show you my ass. I'd like to... I can't... This is... I can't... We have this, don't we? This is a ridiculous way... Everything. is achievable through technology."'Tony throws the book to one side and drinks. "Tony. You're too young to understand this right now, so I thought I would put it on film for you. I built this for you. And someday you'll realise that it represents a whole lot more than just people's inventions. It represents my life's work. This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out. And when you do, you will change the world. What is and always will be my greatest creation is you."

I smile over at Tony who looks shocked.

"I wish I was old enough to remember him."