Chapter 13 - Coulson

I cough as I look up to see Cap picking me up, "Put on the suit!"

"Yup!" Tony runs out.

I run to the bridge with Fury, "Bring the carrier inwards and head south. Take us to the water." Fury yells.

"Why water? Navigations recalibrated after the engine failure."

"Is the sun coming up?!" Fury asks.

"Yes, sir."

Fury points, "Then put it on the left! Get us over water! One more turbine goes down and we drop."

I look down in the monitor to see the Hulk, "We need a full evac on the lower hangar bay." I say.

"GRENADE!" Hill yells as it explodes.

I fly by the open door way and hurl balls of my power through the smoke.

I slide back and create a shield of purple energy, protecting the others and I from the gunfire. I hiss through my teeth as I push the shield out and onto the remaining intruders.

I slide back by Fury and Agent Hill as more come in. "We have the Hulk and Thor on research level 4. Levels 2 and 3 are dark." Sitwell yells.

"Sir, the Hulk will tear this place apart!" Hill yells over to Fury.

"Get his attention."

I create a rope of power and drag an intruder inside, Fury shoots him and nods at me.

"They are not getting through here, so what the hell...." Fury looks confused on why they just keep coming.

Suddenly, Barton shoots an arrow down to the bridge and explodes critical spots. Barton releases a multi-tipped arrow towards Fury, but instead hits his command desk, right above an outlet. Fury and I fire at Barton, but he is already gone. The arrow then self- activates and inserts itself into the outlets, hacking every single monitor and main frame. The hacking causes Engine 1 to shut off. Suddenly, the Helicarrier begins to tilt on one side.

"Sir, we've lost all power in Engine 1."

"It's Barton. He took out our systems. He's headed for the detention level. Does anybody copy?" Fury asks.

"This is Agent Romanoff. I copy."

"Tony, we're losing altitude!" I yell.

"Yeah. Noticed."

Fury pulls me up to the railing as the carrier tilts, we look down on the monitor to see the cage was gone, "Coulson." I look up.

"Let's go." Fury nods, I run behind him, we push passed the people running around, all the way down the carrier.

"Oh god." I whisper, seeing Coulson slumped down.

"Sorry, boss. They got rabbited."

"Just stay awake. EYES ON ME!" Fury says as we kneel down.

"No. I'm clocked out here."

"Not an option." Fury says as I hold Coulson's hand.

"We...need you. Follow...your-" He points at my heart. "Your...a good person." I watch through tears in my eyes as he pulls out the drawing I did of him from his pocket, he then turns to Fury. "It's okay, boss. This was never going to work... if they didn't have something.....to...." He then slumps down....dead.

"No...Coulson!" I shake him. "Wake up!"

"Agent Coulson is down." Fury steps back. I continue to hold Coulson's hand as the medical team arrives.

"Paramedics are on their way."

"They're here.....They called it." Fury sighs.

"Ma'am we need to take him." The paramedic says.

I step back, look at Fury...thenwalking back to the bridge. Coulson was a great agent....he wanted to do what was right. After all the stuff with Ivan, Coulson often kept in contact with me. He was a nice man.

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. Guess he never did get you to sign them." Fury throws down the Trading cards at Cap.
"We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming. Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number though, because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark knows this, called The Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes."

Tony gets up and walks off, I stare at Fury before following him back where Coulson died.

I walk over and hug him tightly.

"Was he married?" I pull away as I see Cap beside us.

"No. There was a uh...cellist, I think." I nod.

"I'm sorry. He seemed like a good man."

"He was an idiot." Tony suddenly says.

"Why? For believing?"

"For taking on Loki alone." Tony nods.

"He was doing his job."

Tony shakes his head, "He was out of his league. He should have waited. He should have..."

"Sometimes there isn't a way out, Tony." Cap nods.

Tony starts to walk away, "Right. How did that work for him?"

"Is this the first time you've lost a soldier?" This makes me angry.

"WE ARE NOT SOLDIERS! We are not marching to Fury's fife!" I yell through my tears, pointing in his face.

"Neither am I! He's got the same blood on his hands as Loki does. Right now we've got to put that aside and get this done. Now Loki needs a power source, if we can put together a list..."

"He made it personal." I whisper, staring at the bloodstain on the wall.

"That's not the point."

"That is the point. That's Loki's point. He hit us all right where we live. Why?" Tony asks.

"To tear us apart."

"He had to conquer his greed, but he knows he has to take us out to win, right? That's what he wants. He wants to beat us and he wants to be seen doing it. He wants an audience." Tony nods:

"Right, I caught his act at Stuttengard."

"Yeah. That's just a preview, this is opening night. Loki's a full-tilt diva. He wants flowers, he wants parades, he wants a monument built in the skies with his name plastered...." Tony pauses and stares at me, "Sonofabitch!"