Chapter 27 - Cradle

I walk down to see the team already talking to Fury. "Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asks.

"Ah. He's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though."

"He still going after launch codes?" I ask.

Fury nods, "Yes, he is, but he's not making any headway."

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare." Tony says.

"Yeah, well, I contacted our friends at the Nexus about that.l

Steve looks confused, "Nexus?"

"It's the world internet hub in Oslo, every byte of data flows through there, fastest access on earth." Bruce nods.

"So what'd they say?" Clint asks.

"He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed."

"By whom?" I ask.

"Parties unknown."

Nat looks up, "Do we have an ally?"

"Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is." Fury nods.

"I might need to visit Oslo, find our unknown."

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that." Nat smiles.

"I do, I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. Here we all are, back on earth, with nothing but our wit, and our will to save the world. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard."

Nat looks up at Steve, "Steve doesn't like that kind of talk."

"You know what, Romanoff?" Natasha smiles mischievously at him.

"So what does he want?" Fury asks.

"To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies." Steve nods.

"Person bodies. The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it." I nod.

"When you three programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed." Natasha smiles.

"They don't need to be protected, they need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve." Bruce suddenly says.

"How?"

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?"

I fly back to the tower just as Bruce arrives, we instantly go to the lab. Clint arrives awhile later....Nat was captured.

"Anything on Nat?" Bruce asks as Tony walks in the lab.

"Haven't heard. But she's alive, or Ultron'd be rubbing our faces in it." Tony nods.

Clint looks over the cradle, "This is sealed tight."

"We're going to need to access the program, break it down from within." I nod.

"Hm. Any chance Natasha might leave you a message, outside the internet, old school spy stuff?" Tony asks.

"There's some nets I can cast. Yeah, alright. I'll find her." Clint nods and walks off.

"I can work on tissue degeneration, if you both can fry whatever operational system Cho implanted." Bruce nods.

Tony pauses, "Yeah, about that."

Bruce looks up, "No."

"You have to trust me."

Bruce backs away, "Kinda don't."

"Our ally? The guy protecting the military's nuclear codes? I found him." Tony brings up the 3D image of Jarvis's consciousness.

"Hello, Dr. Banner. Miss. Y/N."

"Ultron didn't go after Jarvis cause he was angry. He attacked him because he was scared of what he can do. So Jarvis went underground. Okay? Scattered, dumped his memory. But not his protocols. He didn't even know he was in there, until I pieced him together." Tony nods.

"So, you want me to help you put Jarvis into this thing?"

"No, of course not! I want Y/N and I to help you put Jarvis in this thing." Tony smiles as Bruce shakes his head. "We're out of my field here. You know bio-organics better than anyone."

"And you just assume that Jarvis' operational matrix can beat Ultron's?" Bruce asks.

"Jarvis has been beating him from inside without knowing it. This is the opportunity, we can create Ultron's perfect self, without the homicidal glitches he thinks are his winning personality. We have to." Tony nods.

"I believe it's worth a go." Jarvis says.

Bruce shakes his head, "No, I'm in a loop! I'm caught in a time loop, this is exactly where it all went wrong."

"I know, I know. I know what everyone's going to say, but they're already saying it. We're mad scientists. We're monsters, buddy. You gotta own it. Make a stand." Banner shakes his head. "It's not a loop. It's the end of the line. Come on Y/N!" Tony points at me.

"I trust you."