Chapter 40 - Scott

5 YEARS LATER

these past 5 years have been miserable...we failed everyone. Steve and I have been dating all these years but something was off....we both knew that it was time to end it.

But I think we were scared....we still loved each other

We live together but I always stop at Tony's house to see my niece Morgan, she's my best friend. We also always see Nat.

I pick Steve up from the Therapy group he hosts, driving over the bridge. He puts his hand on my thigh as I look out to see whales in the Hudson.

We stopped asking each-other if we were okay....we already knew the answer.

I hold his hand as we walk into the Compound to see Nat was starting to cry, "You know I'd offer to cook you dinner but you seem pretty miserable already." Steve smiles.

"You here to do your laundry?" She asks us.

"And to see a friend." I smile.

"Clearly, your friend is fine." She nods.

"You know we saw a pod of whales when We were coming up the bridge." I say.

"In the Hudson?"

"There's fewer ships, cleaner water." Steve smiles.

"You know, if you're about to tell me to look on the bright side. Um... I'm about you to hit you in the head with a peanut butter sandwich." She jokingly smiles, as we do the same.

"Sorry. Force of habit." He throws his jacket, then pulls out a chair for me, then sitting down beside me. "You know, I keep telling everybody they should move on and... grow. Some do. But not us."

"If I move on, who does this?" Nat points.

"Maybe it doesn't need to be done." I sigh.

"I used to have nothing. And then I got this. This job... this family. And I was... I was better because of it. And even though... they're gone... I'm still trying to be better." She nods.

"I think we all need to get a life." Steve smiles.

Natasha chuckles, "You both first."

Suddenly camera footage pops up in front of us, showing Scott Lang. "Oh! Hi. Hi! Is anyone home? This is Scott Lang. We met a few years ago, at the airport? In Germany? I got really big, and I had my mask on. You wouldn't recognize me."

Steve and I stand. "Is this an old message?" I ask.

"It's the front gate."

Scott was freaking out in front of us, "Scott. Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah. I'm fine." She struggles multiple times to ask us something, "Have you ever studied Quantum Physics?"

"A couple times." I nod.

"Only to make conversation." Nat smiles at me.

"Alright. So... five years ago, right before Thanos, I was in a place called the Quantum Realm. The Quantum Realm is like its own microscopic universe. To get in there, you have to be incredibly small. Hope, she's my... She was my...She was supposed to pull me out. And then Thanos happened, and I got stuck in there."

"I'm sorry. That must've been a very long five years." Nat says.

"Yeah, but that's just it. It wasn't. For me, it was five hours."