Game

Tyler POV

Las Vegas had been amazing. Watching Mum get married to the love of her life; I'd be lying if I said I didn't start crying halfway through. She looked like a princess and I was only too happy to be present to witness such a beautiful moment. Even though the prospect of the wedding had seemed sudden at the start, Kamal had proved himself to be a top guy.

We didn't just spend all our time focussing on the wedding however; we went all over Vegas glimpsing into casinos and eating at Hollywood-style restaurants. It really did feel as though I was on a family holiday; despite the fact that my social worker came with me, she kept a distance and let us celebrate the occasion in style.

There really was only one thing that the whole trip seemed to lack. Jody. Being the third wheel wasn't always the best experience, and I figured that Sally and Kamal did want a little honeymoon time. Every time something surprising or exciting happened, I found myself eager to share my thoughts with Jody before later realising that... she wasn't here.

And even if she was, she'd just be spending all her time texting Brandon.

It seemed ironic that the metaphorical distance between us had suddenly become physical. I phoned the DG every day when I had time, and despite being elated at hearing everyone's voices... I could never hear Jody's. All I'd received from her was one measly text.

have fun.

Apparently, she'd gotten grounded and was currently having to grovel to Mike in order to cut down her sentence. I'd tried to find out why but the others had said that it was best not to ask; something about the old Jody returning again.

I frowned; I'd really thought that boxing had been the answer to her anger issues, but perhaps not. Still, no one seemed too bothered about it so I figured that I shouldn't. At least, it meant she was spending more time with her DG family. Maybe they'd get through to her somehow.

I pondered over this as Kamal drove me back to the DG.

"Still thinking about Sudoku girl?"

Turning around to face him, I saw that he already had a knowing smirk on his face. According to Mum and him, I'd been talking non-stop about Jody. Commenting on her favourite type of biscuits as we passed a chocolate factory, and the time she'd helped me con Johnny when we'd gone to the casino...

"You've got it bad, huh?"

"Can you quit with that horrible American accent?" I laughed, recalling the many times that Kamal had tried (and failed) to sound like a cow-boy. It certainly didn't seem to please the hotel attendant when he'd come to our room with refreshments.

"He's got a point though..."

My eyes suddenly darted behind me, as I remembered that my social worker Rhona was still with us. To be honest, having her follow us around hadn't been as annoying as I'd thought.

"You do talk about Jody an awful lot," she smiled, "But that's not a bad thing, eh? You two have practically grown up together!"

Grown apart, more like.

I'd never been more anxious to see Jody again, especially given the lack of response I'd had from her since I'd gone away. I smiled and looked away, one could only hope that things would turn out better. But I wasn't an optimist nor a gambler when it came to these matters. I'd know where we stood once I saw her.

 I'd know where we stood once I saw her