Birthday

Jody POV

I stared at the birthday card before me, my red felt-tip as dry as the words on my tongue.

Dear Tyler...

I could have ended it with a simple 'happy birthday! from Jody' but best friends needed to make an effort for each other. So here I was...

A few years ago, 8-year-old me would have never known that such friends could exist. I was lost, neglected and unloved. It's the one thing I like best about the Dumping Ground; the fact that you have people that care no matter what.

If I'm honest with you, I don't really remember how Tyler and I became friends. We both enjoyed causing mischief; I was always after chocolate biscuits and sweets and he was the local prankster. I remember how he used to cling onto Rick, his big brother figure and how over time he became more confident in himself.

The one thing that hadn't changed though was his sensitivity. Everyone else used to make fun of Tyler for being a cry-baby and being a little naïve sometimes but I liked that about him. He wasn't afraid to express himself, and be honest.

I tapped my pen gently against my desk.

He'd helped me so much. Whenever I got upset about Kingsley and my mum, he was always there. My shoulder to cry on. And now, we were both growing up so fast.

And I was just glad that despite everything, I still had my best friend by my side.

'Dear Tyler,

Happy birthday 13th you oldie! You better like my present cause I spent so long saving up for it! Have a good one,

Love Jodes x'

I added the kiss as an afterthought, knowing that it was quite soppy coming from me. But then again, I did want to show Tyler that I cared about him.

"Hey Jodes, I'm leaving to see my mum soon."

Startled by his entrance I stood up with my back to my desk, desperately trying to hide his birthday card. Tyler was leaning against my doorframe, and looked ready to leave; he'd ditched the usual excessive amounts of hair gel he used to wear whenever he met with his mum.

"Oh err... good luck, bye!" I told him shortly, cursing inwardly at my pathetic lying.

"Right... what are you trying to hide?"

"Nothing!"

"You can't lie to me Jodes.." Tyler pointed out, before trying to side-step past me as I quickly shoved him onto my bed.

"It's meant to be a surprise!" I blurted out before I could stop myself. He grinned.

"You mean my birthday surprise..?" he asked as I pushed him out my room.

"What do you think?" I replied, rolling my eyes and laughing as we continued down the stairs.

Tyler POV

We'd almost made it back in time. I looked at my mum grinning. Today had been amazing. We'd gone out for lunch and headed to the park and I'd laughed so hard my tummy still hurt. It was good progress, and I hated it when I had to leave her.

"Same time next week?" I asked cheerily.

"Not necessarily.." she replied offering a secret smile as we headed indoors to meet Mike. I held back the anxiety, what did she mean by that?!

As we sat in the office, I began to process what she'd said to me. Going home. Permanently.

Questions started to pop up in my head again, whether she was serious this time, whether she'd be able to look after me.. I was being stupid.