Forever

Tyler POV

A bit of a bolt from the blue? Well, that was an understatement!

My eyes skimmed over the ticket in my hand; the printed words blurring in my vision though not from tears but from sheer shock. I inhaled somewhat heavily before turning to an expectant May-Li who was already staring back at me, her expression heavy with sadness but also excitement for what the world had in store for me.

"You've been such an important part of this family for a long time, and we're going to miss you so, so much. But it's what you've always dreamed of! It's time to spread your wings, Tyler..."

It was summer. The end of an amazing first year at college, a year that had taught me to believe in myself and push myself to be the best I could be. I'd found what I wanted in life, and the past few months had been almost stress-free. Everything had come together; my studies, my future career, my family, friends, and...

As coincidence would have it, I glanced up to see the one person who'd been thinking of then. She smiled at me warmly through the window as she passed through the hallway before alighting the stairs. A smile which for the first time in ages had put me on edge.

 A smile which for the first time in ages had put me on edge

Jody.

My mouth ran dry as I loosened my grip on the ticket I was holding. Mum and Kamal wanted me to join them in St Lucia and though I had initially called off the idea, my social worker had discussed the possibility with me on a number of occasions. I suppose I'd always imagined that I would always leave whenever Jody left, at some point in the future after college.

Yet I knew deep down that most care kids left before then; next year I would be 18 and therefore not considered to be a child anymore.

"What about college?" I tried desperately.

"Your Mum found you a place at that college next term, and you'd be able to continue your studies there. Besides, it's one of the best colleges in the country, high job prospects..."

I nodded slowly; truth be told, I'd checked out the college Mum was on about online and it was amazing for the sort of career I wanted to go into. Still, I hadn't ever anticipated leaving this soon. As I gazed at the ticket more carefully, one detail stuck out to me above all the rest.

"Wait. This says it's for tomorrow?"

May-Li lips pursed together uncomfortably.

"Yes, I..."

"So why am I only finding out about this now?" I asked, enrage bubbling away inside me. One day simply wasn't enough time for me to pack all my belongings, say goodbye to all my friends and the DG, say goodbye to...

Jody.

Something flashed angrily inside me. This wasn't fair. There was no way I could ever say goodbye to Jody or worse, lump this on her before leaving the next day. It was like they were trying to get rid of me!