Chapter 24

I sat in between Nat and Wanda while we waited for Tony. He was taking forever. As if on queue he walked through the door, a handcuffed Bucky following behind him. I jumped up at the sight of him. I ran over to him, completely disregarding Stark as I pulled Bucky into a hug, only to realize his hands were still tied. I looked at Bucky, he smiled gently at me as I went to untie his hands. "Ummm, what do you think you're doing?" Stark questioned, making me jump. I had completely forgotten everyone was there. "Well, Bucky is out of that horrible cell now so I thought-" "NO! No! You didn't think at all! He is still a criminal and dangerous!" Stark yelled at me, causing me to flinch at his harsh tone. "Tony," Nat said in a soft voice in an attempt to calm him down. Tony's hand shot out behind him to silence Nat. I looked towards her. She looked down in defeat. I didn't understand why Stark was so mad. It was Bucky, I already explained he looked after me. When I made no effort to move, Stark reached out to grab my arm, only for Bucky to reach out a hand to stop him. I turned to look at Bucky. Had I untied his hands? I turned around to a shocked Stark, frozen to the spot as Bucky let go of his arm. I stared at Bucky. "This whole time-" I started only to be cut off by Bucky, "I could have broken free? Yeah of course." I hid my laughter as I turned to face a pissed Stark and the rest of the team - most of which were now stood up. I walked back over to Wanda and Nat and hugged them both. "Thank you," I said. Nat looked at the floor. "Y/n," Wanda said softly, "this wasn't what we brought you down here for. Its...Its something else."

I was confused. Everyone stopped to look at me. I stared at Wanda who couldn't meet my eye. What had happened? I turned to look at Bucky, Tony and Steve who were all stood in the corner of the room their conversation coming to an abrupt end as Nat and Wanda started to talk. Tony and Steve definitely knew what was happening. Bucky clearly didn't. "Well," I said, "Am i in trouble?" I forced a nerous laugh. Wanda and Nat sat down, motioning for me to sit in between them. Oh god, this couldn't be good. I sat down and tried to steady my breathing. I felt Wanda's hand slide onto my leg which I hadn't noticed was shaking. "Y/n," Nat said, bringing my attention of Wanda's hand and to Nat," I don't know how to say this so I'm just going to say it. Im your biological mum." I felt a rush of emotions flow up my spine. "W...what? I...I...I don't understand. H...How?" Nat took a deep breath. "I grew up in a horrible place called the red room. When I was rescued by Clint, I was pregnant. I was over the moon as I thought I had been fully steralized by the red room. They clearly made a mistake. When you were born, you weren't breathing. Tony took you to the lab and tried to revive you. What he didn't tell me was that you survived. I'm not 100% sure on the rest od the story so Tony correct me if I'm wrong but he placed you in the orphanage a few days later, after we had the funeral for you. The necklace you have, the one with the horse shoe, that was mine, I thought we buried it with you. Tony kept an eye on you but at a few points in time he lost you, hence why I wasn't 100% sure you were my daughter. You ended up moving in with Jackson after the orphanage kicked you out right? Well Tony bought you in a way from Jackson when he realised how much of a horrible person he was and how you couldn't get away from that on your own. You worked here and then you know the rest. When I went with you to the lab and you told me your birthday, I had my suspicions. Then the necklace turned up and so Bruce did a DNA test to confirm it." I sat in complete shock. What. The. Heck. I didn't know what to feel. Betrayed? Happy? Sad? Numb? I didn't know.

After a moment of silence, I looked at Nat. She had a look of anticipation on her face. This must have been as scary for her as it is for me. I leant towards her and pulled her into a hug. I felt her body stiffen in surprise until she relaxed into the hug and hugged me back. I pulled away with tears in my eyes. Nat had tears in her eyes to. I chuckled and she chuckled too. "So," I said, "If your my mum, who is my dad?" I asked. "I don't know. I don't know how I even became pregnant. We could probably find out if you wanted to." I shook my head. I'd managed without any parents for my entire life. I think one was enough for now. "When did you do the DNA test?" Nat looked at Dr.Banner. "I used some of your DNA from the you were first here. We found out before you were taken by Jackson." I nodded my head at Dr.Banners response. "So you've known a few days then." I said. I was treated by silence. "Y/n," Wanda said gently, "You were gone for a month." A month. A whole month. I felt my mouth go dry. How? It had literally been two days at Jacksons and two days at Bucky's. I looked over at Bucky. "You were with me for two days and from what she is saying," He said, nodding his head at Wanda, "You were with Jackson for over three weeks." I sat in silence digesting the mountain of information I had just been given; both Nat being my mum and being gone for a month. I assumed that everytime Jackson came to feed me was every day and that the cups of water I got were throughout the day but it must have been one a day. Oh my god. I felt my head go light and the world started to spin. I put my hand on Wanda's leg to balance myself as she turned my face towards hers. I looked into her eyes until everything went black.