81 | Closure

Even from the car, Morgan had started to picture the quaint little coffee shop, the shop that reminded her so much of The Brew when she was in there for the first time a few years back and that still reminds her so much of The Brew to this day.

From the parking lot, it didn't take long to realize that the place hadn't changed one bit, nor had it aged a day.

From the inside, everything, from the strings of fairy lights zigzagging across the ceiling, to the polaroid photographs of smiling regulars and famous customers hanging on one wall, from the worn-out chintz armchairs to the welcoming tables and chairs littered across the place, all down to the bittersweet aroma of coffee that seemed to linger in the air, remained the same.

The moment Morgan entered the vaguely familiar place, her eyes immediately landed on a tall figure clad in an elegant-looking blue suede blazer and washed-out jeans. When he caught her gaze, Morgan found herself being reeled back into high school, back to that first physics class in which she had seen those baby blues, those baby blues that always seemed to be clouded in thought.

She strode across the room to the table he had reserved for them both, where, ever his gentlemanly self, he got up and shook her hand before she took a seat across from him.

Now that she was closer, she could see that his dirty-blonde hair was whitening at the roots. Subtle wrinkles were showing at certain angles and movements. 

Still, thought Morgan, it looked as though, much like the establishment they were in, he hadn't aged a day.

Though now older and more mature, she could still see what her high school self had seen in him, and, though she didn't care to admit it, she'd still bone him.

"Morgan Darhk, as I live and breathe."

Morgan smiled. "Heya, Collin."

"How are you?"

"I've been good, actually. I have a kid now — a little six-year-old named Nick."

Collin seemed surprised at the information but tried to not let it show. "Really? That's wonderful. And is the father — ?"

"Dead," Morgan said abruptly, and this time, Collin wasn't able to hide his surprise. "Sorry — didn't mean to be crude — it's just that, it was a long time ago, is all —"

"That's quite alright, you don't need to explain yourself to me," he said, and for the first time in a long while, she saw that dashing smile of his, the smile that won her over in the first place.

"Um, what about you? How are things?"

"Good, good. Just came back from a round-the-world trip, actually, with my nephew, Oliver. He's been having a hard time — someone close to him had passed — so we left everything behind for catharsis — and now we're back... but I won't bore you with the details, don't worry," he added with a charming grin.

"Must be the most expensive form of catharsis there is," remarked Morgan, slightly envious.

Collin shrugged. "You're not wrong there," he chuckled, "but, you know, you do what you can for the people you love."

"I hear that," said Morgan, a mental image of Nick swimming around her thoughts. "Listen, Collin — I asked you to meet me because I honestly just want to apologize for everything I did in high school. I was such a stupid teenager then, you know? I did stupid shit that was beyond inappropriate — I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. I... I hurt you —"

Collin heaved a heavy sigh, looking crestfallen. "Morgan — save it — you owe me nothing. If anything, I should be sorry. You were young, and it was up to me to guide you through the pitfalls of adolescence, but instead, I took advantage of your vulnerability and did stuff no teacher should do to their student. I know it sounds like a copout, but I — I really couldn't stop myself liking you..."

"It was — it was just so messy, you know? I barely knew what was going on, and before I even knew it, it was all ending so abruptly," said Morgan. "The school website told me you've resigned, and I didn't know what to think —"

"I just thought that it was best for everyone that I leave, that I stayed away and out of your life," said Collin, a deep frown etched on his comely face. "I'd have already done enough damage. In fact, I wasn't even sure if I should come meet you today —"

"Collin, stop," Morgan said quickly, now mirroring Collin's frown. "Things were a mess, but they don't have to be now. I just wanted to clear the air."

A tense silence settled over the pair. They listened contently to the cacophony of small talk from surrounding tables. It didn't seem like there was more that needed to be said, until Collin cleared his throat and tore his gaze away from Morgan, his face scarlet.

"I really did like you, Morgan," he said softly. "I — I liked you a lot, but the circumstances freaked me out, and I messed up. I'm really sorry."

Hearing Collin's truthful words, Morgan was taken aback. She hadn't asked Collin to see her so that she could pry the truth out of him; she hadn't expected an apology of any sort. To be honest, she didn't know why she asked Collin to meet her — but whatever was the reason, she's glad she did because there was now a warm feeling swarming around her stomach, and it felt as though a tight knot deep within her, so deep that she wasn't even aware of its presence, finally, after years of haunting her, unfurled.

Closure.

"Thank you, Collin," said Morgan, her voice barely audible over the din of chatter, a wan but genuine smile spreading across her cheeks. "I — I didn't know I needed to hear that, honestly."

"Please, it's the least I could do," grinned Collin, waving her off. He half rose from his seat, looking around with lazy eyes. "Now, where's that frappe I ordered..."