Chapter 18- What You're Saying is Impossible

Sam POV

Sam reread the book in front of him, trying to make sense of it. That's what he had been doing for the past twenty minutes and he was still no closer to understanding it.

He shook his head, "What you're suggesting is impossible."

The man in front of him rolled his eyes, glancing at his watch for a moment. "It's not. You just don't want to believe it, there's a difference." 

"Okay, so let's say I do believe you. You do realize this means that we have little to no chance of surviving, right?" Sam crossed his arms, staring at him. 

"That's not necessary true..."

"And you wonder why I have such a hard time believing you Karl." he shook his head, running his fingers through his hair.

"What do you want me to say Sam? Would you rather I not tell you the truth?" Karl asked, his stare stern.

"Yeah, if it means we're all going to die. I don't want to know that!" he argued, even though the truth was he probably would want to know either way.

Karl stared at him. "You were the person who wrote to me Sam, in case you forgot."

"Well I was looking for a cure for a disease or something, not a foretelling of our death!" Sam retorted, pushing the book aside. He just couldn't wrap his brain around it.

Karl sighed, nodding, "I wish it wasn't true, really I do... but I won't lie."

Sam bit his lip, "I don't know what I'm going to tell them."

"The royals?" 

"Them and Dream."

Karl stopped, his eyes widening. "Wait, he's still in the castle? He hasn't vanished?"

Sam glanced at him, trying to process what he just said. "Of course he's still in the castle. Where else would he be?"

"Well-" he began before being cut off.

"I am not listening to another one of your theories Karl, never mind." 

Karl glared at him, "It's not a theory! It's a proven fact. I should know, I researched it." He hated when people cut him off, especially when it was important information.

"Oh, is it that one you spent your entire life working on?" Sam raised an eyebrow, moving towards the back of the room.

"Can you please give me the benefit of the doubt?" Karl begged, following Sam.

"Didn't we already go over this? Everything that you've concluded is impossible. Dream is not being possessed by the shadow. You can't prove me otherwise." Sam began looking through his armors, running his finger along the cool metal. 

"They said the same thing about Schlatt, remember?" 

"That was over a decade ago Karl. Besides that was a different situation. For one Schlatt isn't the best knight in the entire kingdom. And two Schlatt wanted control and power, Dream would never do something like that." 

Karl groaned, "How many times do I have to tell you? Just because people don't expect it, doesn't mean it won't happen!" 

Sam shook his head for what seemed to be the 100th time, probably because it was. What Karl was saying couldn't be true. It just couldn't.

"I told you he wouldn't believe you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you liked it! I may or may not have written this in the middle of school.

Hope you have an amazing day!!

-Snowy