Chapter 43- Beginning to Heal

Tommy POV

Time had passed and the pain never really went away. But it got easier, little by little. The royal family seemed to grow closer and closer, making up for the time they had lost.

"Wilby! Come on!" Tommy shouted, running ahead to the gardens beyond.

Wilbur chuckled, "Hang on Toms." His guitar was slung on his back, like it always seemed to be. Techno walked beside him, Kristen and Phil bringing up the rear.

"Hurry up! You're taking forever!" Tommy whined, looking like a little kid.

"I'm coming." Wilbur promised, ruffling the blonde's hair.

Finally the family came to the tree that stood at the top of the gardens. It was a weeping willow, one that had been planted when Phil took the crown.

Tommy laughed, rolling around in the grass.

"Tommy you're going to stain your clothes!" Techno scowled, walking towards the child.

Tommy shrugged. "Then I'll wash them." He was completely unbothered by the thought, going back to rolling around. Suddenly he stopped, looking up at Wilbur with his bright blue eyes. "Hey Wilby?"

"Hmmm?" Wilbur hummed, smiling brightly at the nickname.

"Will you play our song?"

Wilbur chuckled, "Of course." 

He leaned against the tree, beginning to strum the chords. Kristen smiled brightly, leaning into Phil. Techno pulled Tommy close to him, wrapping his arms around him protectively.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine

You make me happy when skies are gray

You'll never know dear, how much I love you

Please don't take my sunshine away."

No matter how many times Tommy heard the song, he loved it every time. It reminded him of a brighter time, when everything had been perfect. It reminded him of the family he was so lucky to have.

"The other night dear, as I lay sleeping

I dreamed I held you in my arms

But when I woke, dear, I was mistaken

So I hung my head and I cried."

Wilbur continued to sing, his voice as smooth as silk. He smiled down at Tommy, amused by the way his eyes always lit up at every moment. It was amazing the kid never got sick of him or his singing.

"I'll always love you and make you happy,

If you will only say the same.

But if you leave me and love another,

You'll regret it all some day."

Techno closed his eyes, pulling Tommy closer, if that was even possible. He didn't want the moment to ever end. He didn't ever want to lose the people he had sworn to protect.

"You told me once, dear, you really loved me

And no one else could come between.

But not you've left me and love another

You have shattered all of my dreams."

Phil began to sing along with Wilbur, looking fondly at his sons. His voice was soft and calm, a perfect match to Wilbur's.

"In all my dreams, dear, you seem to leave me

When I awake my poor heart pains.

So when you come back and make me happy

I'll forgive you dear, I'll take all the blame."

Kristen chuckled, watching them all with a smile. She loved them all like they were her own family. She had never felt so welcomed into a family before. She hoped she would never have to leave them.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.

You make me happy when skies are gray.

You'll never know dear, how much I love you

Please don't take my sunshine away."

Wilbur strummed the final note, allowing the instrument to ring out. He smiled, setting the guitar aside to wrap his arms around Tommy. Techno huffed, allowing the blonde to go. Wilbur held him close, afraid he might disappear. Afraid he might wake up from this dream.

Phil stood up, making Kristen look at him in confusion. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"Something I should have done years ago." he knelt on one knee, searching his pockets for something.

Tommy giggled at Kristen's wide eyes. Phil had asked them if he could ask her to be their mother and they said yes without hesitation. In a way Kristen was the mother they had never had. They never wanted to let her go.

"Kristen, will you marry me?"

Kristen's jaw dropped, before her lips widened into a smile. She jumped forward, wrapping her arms around Phil who stiffened in surprise.

"Yes."

------------

Hope you liked it!

One more chapter!

Hope you have an amazing day!

-Snowy