Chapter 42: Tending You

"Athy...?" His voice vibrated, beckoning for a response. But as soon as he removed his hands from her body, her frame fell accordingly to gravity's will. "Hey—Did you..."

He quickly retrieved her body back onto his lap, averting her to where he could see her extravagant expression.

She was a breathless mess even if she fell unconscious. Her mouth parted slightly, and with every breathless exhalation she made, Lucas was enticed right back in. He bent over, lips hovered, yet he stopped there. Rather than feeding on his desire, Lucas retreated. He marked his zone red and did his job. So that was enough.

For now.

"...I guess I overdid it this time..." He muttered to himself before putting her to bed properly. He fixed her cluttered and wrinkled collar, hiding the inflamed mark on her once-exposed neck.

"...Sorry about that. I thought you could handle it..." He let out a hysterically low chuckle before brushing her hair with his fingers. "I will handle Felix for you." Lucas took the phone out of her pocket. He quietly got off the bed, then draped his girlfriend with a blanket.

He strolled to the balcony and set one foot on the rail while resting his jaw on his fist. A small smile crept on his face when he saw a selfie as the wallpaper of the phone. It showed Raven with the biggest toothy grin on his face and his mother next to him, cuddling away while sharing the widest smile of her own.

"Ah... I miss that mana potion...."

Suddenly the device vibrated, and he had to cringe at the heart icons that were guarding the saved contact. "Disgusting." He mumbled with irritation to the 'Daddy' flashing on the screen.

Lucas let out an exhale as he combed his hair with his free hand while sliding his finger across the screen to answer the call.

"Please forgive me, Lady Athanasia... But I am a bit obnoxious about the wait." This made Lucas scoff out loud, and he could feel the bodyguard's embarrassment through the other line.

"What are you? A newly wedded?" Athanasia's boyfriend teased. A short pause occurred, and Lucas didn't hold back his laughter.

"Where is Lady Athanasia?" Felix dodged the question as he tried to speak with professionalism all of a sudden. But it was now Lucas' turn to remain silent. "I need to talk to her, not you," Felix added.

"Uh... She is... asleep?"

"You two were bickering earlier. How in the world would she be sleeping right now?"

"She is asleep! I swear!"

"And why is she asleep?"

"I..." Bit her? "....Don't know too..."

"Put her on the line now."

"Or... I can help and deliver the message to her after she wakes up."

"We are not playing hide and seek here, Kid. And I just want to know that you have earned my trust after all this time. But if anything happened to Lady Athanasia because of You..." Felix trailed, yet Lucas could feel the murderous intention. "...Trust is not the only thing that will be broken."

When Lucas thought Claude and Athanasia were the only intimidating people around here, he knew he was wrong at this very moment.

Lucas' lips parted, ready to defend himself with the whole truth to Felix when he felt a hand on his back. He knew the touch by heart, but it went through his consciousness to register. To save his dignity, he managed to mute the call just in time before he let out a surprised yelp. During this interrogation process, the tension was high for him, and he had never confronted this version of Felix before.