Chapter 47: Fathers' Forfeitures

The older De Alger sighed, tossing the phone up and down within his palm to lessen the boredom; he continued to wait by the door for the meeting to end. He would have stayed in his domain until his brother's loyal subject arrive, but he would not mind leaving the room once in a while.

Shifting his gaze from the ground, he scrutinized Alpheus' guard that was arriving – a newly recruited elite assigned by the current strategist of Obelia's Company. The veteran could not seem to take his eyes off the tactician's movements, and it started to get on his nerve. Yet, the older man managed a solstice smile as a greeting.

"Gentleman. What business do you have with me?"

"I am here on behalf of Master Alpheus."

"Of course you are." He muttered in annoyance. "Then... how may I help you?"

"You are to return to your... Place at once."

"And if I say No?"

"You have no option to choose here. Come with me."

The guard was about to extend his hand to grab Anastasius by the shoulder, but somehow, his instinct told him it was an unwise choice. So it was intuition he decided to go with, retreating his hand back to where they belonged.

"Follow me." The guard instructed again. "You are violating the provisions."

"In what way? Taking a stroll in the hallway?"

"Correct."

"Is it a crime to breathe then?"

"Need I remind you that it was you who destroyed the door lock?"

"It is against my privilege as a human being for you to captivate me in one place when I hold no false."

"The real issue here is that you are not allowed to roam free at will. You have the privilege to earn your freedom, but an escort must be at your side."

"I am an adult with a grown-up daughter."

"That is irrelevant. This argument—"

Rising a finger, Anastasius hushed the guard. "Which means I can take care of myself just fine."

"Regardless of your assurance, I am here to keep you safe."

"How kind of you. But I fear for your safety, rather. Full of openings."

"Is that a threat?"

"Constructive criticism."

"An insult is all I see."

"Oh really? Then, should I mention that my daughter can put you in the dirt... With ease?"

"I don't hit girls." He snorted.

"Don't worry about that, Good sir. I... Wouldn't let my little girl dirty her hands— boots – Does she wear heels?"

"Whatever she wears does not concern me." The guard taunted, trailing and laughing at the same time. "But as I heard of how delicate your daughter is...."

"What did you just say about my daughter?"

"Delicate..." He repeated himself. "And I may not hit girl, but I wouldn't mind... Hitting on... YOUR baby gi—"

The invisible glass shattered from a rupture of rage. With one swift moment, the guard was at the forbearance of the former strategist, gripped by the collar, desperately trying to get back down to where the young lad could touch the ground.

"Let me... rephrase my question again...." His voice reeked of pestilent intent. "What did you just say about my little girl?"

"...Mercy..."