Chapter 2: Random Stranger

Dip to the ground, arms encircled around Athanasia's shoulders, he asked, "You okay there?"

Athanasia venerated the sight of his short sinister-black locks fluttering by the nocturnal breeze. Despite being dappled by the Nyx of the night, his ruby stones dazzled profoundly, in contrast to her blue gems. Her lips parted slightly to utter the word 'Pretty'.

When was the last time she found a guy to be this eye-catching?

He was somewhat staggered that the girl was not showing any feeling of intimidation by him. His eyebrow elevated in amusement as he watched Athanasia's mouth gasp open, miming quiet words at him.

"I didn't know you were mute." His voice came out stonier than she alleged as she was coming back to her sense.

"W—Who said anything about being mute?"

"You actually can talk? I mean, you are probably the thing the most similar to a decent human being I've come across so far."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Hey? Have you been vaccinated?"

"Pardon?"

"Rabies, to be specific. Stray dogs in this area seem to be off-leash. And I am not talking about that creature." He darted his eyes to the puppy wobbling on the ground, gesturing for Athanasia to trail in that direction.

"RAVEN!" Oblivious to being held solicitously in his arms, Athanasia scrambled toward the puppy.

Upon detecting the slightest struggle to break free, he promptly let her go. He had no reason to keep her in his embrace as the threat appeared to be passed, for now. He got back on his own two feet and brushed off the dirt on his knee.
"Your dog?" Walking toward Athanasia, who was holding onto the dog dearly, he asked.

"Uh... No. Well—"

"Who the hell do you think you are?!"

A concoction of agony and rage resounded behind their backs. Athanasia gasped when she became conscious of her surroundings.

"Did you hear that? I think I heard a dog barking," he scoffed at her reaction as he acquainted himself, "By the way. I'm Lucas. The most handsome guy who has ever existed."

"Stop ignoring me, you brat!" The voice got nauseatingly gaudier that it made Lucas spin around with his arms folded. His signature smirk appeared.

"Oh, so that is where that yelping sound was coming from. Are you lost, little guy?"

But then, Athanasia's hand floated in midair before landing on Lucas' head. He groaned before rubbing lightly the back of his head.

"What are you doing?! Trying to piss them off?"

"Aren't you an amusing one?" Rather than getting livid, he observed the girl who was close to scraping his head off his shoulders. And not only that, but he was amazed that he had let his guard down while being with her. "It has been a while since a commoner has laid a hand on me. Do you even need saving back there?"

"I am trying to save us BOTH, you idiot!"

"Awww... Are you worried about me? I'm flattered."

"I am worried about myself!"

With his hands in his pocket, Lucas paced to the guy who sped in his direction.

"Just sit there and look pretty. I will take care of these dogs over here."

As a replacement for perturbing about her very own safety, Athanasia constrained her lips together. She could have taken advantage of the situation and run home, but her feet were rooted to the ground. As the distance was closing in between them, Athanasia shut her eyes when the guy whose size doubled compared to Lucas dashed toward him. She was quite sure that Lucas would come flying toward her. All she heard was an anguished cry.