Chapter 31: Explicit Assumption

Athanasia's POV

"I— Atha— Let me... You—"

I couldn't understand what he was trying to say. Maybe I was too focused on another important thing rather than listening to him shudder.

"Lucas." By just simply calling his name, I could tell his breath hitched even though my eyes remained closed. "I want you to answer me truthfully," I added.  

"...Yes?" Since when did his voice lack this much confidence?

"Did you come here directly after work?"

"I did. Something bothers you?"

There was a long pause before I opened my eyes just in time to see his red ruby orbs, which I had come to adore, glittering in an unorthodox way. 

"Are you feeling alright?" I asked and right away, his palms left my cheeks as he took a few steps back.

"Of course, I am."

"What happened to your face?"

"What? Did I get hotter over time?"

"Where did you get those bruises?"

"What bruise? Who could touch me? Except you of course."

"I'm not in the mood to play around."

"Then don't play. Just do it. I don't mind." His laughter died before it could even be heard properly when he couldn't trigger the reaction that he wanted from me.

"Did you get into a fight?"

"Even if I did, I would have won. But I didn't."

"Explain those bruises."

"There is nothing to explain."

"Why?!"

"Because there is no bruise. It's just some dirt or something."

What are you hiding from me, Lucas?

What I chose to do next must have caught him off guard when I heard a surprised noise above my head the moment I chose to dash forward and hugged him. "Let's go home." I muffled into his shirt. 

"It's still early. Are you worried about me?"

"I am."

Then I felt a warm caress on my body as a pair of arms wrapped around my shoulders. "...There is nothing to worry about. Everything is okay now." He muttered with his undertone.

"But you are not." 

"Which part of me says that I'm not okay?"

"You look drained."

"I feel attacked and flattered at the same time that you care. Do you only care recently though?"

"I have always cared!"

"Hey..." He pulled me away from his arms slowly. The moment we made eye contact, he gave me a soft smile. "Calm down... I'm okay. So why don't we go back to the hall where the party is?"

I did not want to go back inside but I didn't know why I couldn't tell him straight forward when that smile of his was playing like that. So all I did was stare down at the ground as everything grew quiet. And somehow, that one part of me, pounding with concerns inside my chest, was telling me that we shouldn't stay here any longer.

I just want to go back home with you. I just want you to be okay. I will stop being in denial. I'm sorry if you have to put up with me all these times.

"Sorry about what?"

"Eh?" Did I say that out loud?

"You said sorry just now. Why are you apologizing?"