Chapter 39: I See You

Ezekiel's POV

"Please let me know if you need any help or have any requests."

"Oh! Actually... Can you watch over Raven for me? Lily is not home."

Had I chosen death upon taking a request or she despised me to the point where she wanted to feed me to her wolf-dog?

No. A grown-up man, I was destined to be the future head of the Alpheus Family. I shall not fear any enemy whether they were armed with weapons or nonexistent. I had faced them all. But... 

"I am... a bit concerned regarding his acceptance of my presence... I am certain that you still remember our last encounter."

"I'm... Well... I'm sorry about that day. Then, not tonight. He can stay alone at home for now but for tomorrow or the next few days since I'm not sure when can I go back home. Not until Lucas is okay."

I was designated to spend several nights with a beast. With his owner away, if he decided to start his feasting schedule, my survival rate would drop immensely. I needed an alternative solution.

"What do you suggest?"

"He is okay with Jeannette. You can bring her to my house and take Raven with you or you two can just stay there together, watching over my boy for me."

How could I forget about her in a situation like this when she was the key to my survival? She would help me ease my anxiety if we stayed the nights there, together—

"We—I cannot... That would be an improper... manner."

"My house has extra rooms. Jeannette can stay in my room. You can stay in the other one. Here is my spare key."

The key to her house was still in her palm and I was still debating with my subconsciousness. It would be wiser to stay at her house alone, but, I was still concerned about my safety. Nevertheless, I took the key. At this rate, Jeannette may have to be the one to read a bedtime story for me...

"I may have to discuss with your cousin first... Please take care. I will leave for now."

"I will. Thank you again. And please take care of my cousin as well."

"...I always have. Ever since we were young."

"Please continue doing so. She needs more attention, compare to me."

"Of course. Then Goodnight, Athanasia."

"Goodnight, Ejekiel."

We bid our farewells and I walked out of the building, heading to my car. I looked at the Arlanta Hospital, deliberate for the wealthiest of the highest and the ones with decent rapport with Obelia Company, one last time before driving back home. And that was when my mind which should be focusing on the road, began to slip away into its own world.

It amused me that my friend could find a place within her heart and she had found her replacement. No, she was right. Lucas was not just a replacement. For years I had worked with him, when was the time he had shown his weak sides and emotions? When was the last time he put his life in danger for someone else?

Time was given to them to flourish their... feelings. Now that I thought about it, after my encounter with Athanasia, would it be the same if time was given to me in the same way it was given to Lucas? If I had to be honest with myself, I did not think it would turn out the same.

Jealousy, I was corrupted with. I realized I almost followed the same path as my father. Envy and greed had swallowed my father whole; he thirsted for power. While I thirsted for Athanasia's affection. My heart felt heavy for the moment but not as painful as I thought it would be.