Chapter 10: Detach

"Hey, Sleepyhead... I know it's late but you can't sleep now...," said Athanasia with her voice broken, her trembling fingers caressing his cheek, "Lucas... Lucas... Look at me... Keep your eyes on me... Help is on the way okay?"

He was clutching his chest, gritting his teeth, muffling his voice so that she couldn't hear his scream of anguish as red liquid oozed from his mouth.

"Princess...," called Lucas, struggling to lift his hand.

Though she understood right away as she took his hand, holding it dearly to her cheek, and shushed him, "...Shh... No, save your energy... Don't speak. Just keep your eyes on me... On me only okay...?"

"Don't cry... It's alright..."

With every passing second, the luminous light from the scarlet spheres slowly dimmed as his movements died down. His thumb slowly wiped away the tears, befalling from her jewel's eyes.

"...No matter... Where I go... I will find my way to you..."

"Yes. You are with me. So Don't you dare go anywhere."

"I'm with you..."

His hand was slipping away from her tear-soaked cheek, yet she fought against all odds and held on to it.

"Stay with me, Lucas...! You promised...!! LUCAS!!"

Athanasia's cry of despair echoed in her room as her eyes shot open. Her sense slowly returned when a soft whimper was heard. She looked at what was nudging against her palm, asking for attention and her well-being at the same time.

Crawling closer, Raven snuggled to his mom and rested his head on the crook of her neck, providing comfort as much as he could. The dog's presence soothed her for a while and she smiled bitterly at her pet before tenderly stroking his head.

She sighed distinctly, head still leaning on her pillow. Out of nowhere, Raven licked her cheek. Finding the sensation to be quite tickling, she shifted him away gently and attempted to wipe his saliva off when she felt liquid dripping from her eyes.

"Eh...? Tears...? Why? I haven't cried for years...

She sat right up, pondering while smearing the trace of those droplets away when she heard a few knocks at her door.

"Yes, Lily! Come in!"

Entered, Lilian York with concern on her face. She sat next to Athanasia, taking the girl's palm into hers, and asked, "Athy? Are you feeling unwell again?"

"Oh no. It was just Raven. He jumped on me," Athanasia smiled brightly, but Raven only whined from being accused and framed.

"I think I heard... You called Lucas' name...?"

"Not at all!"

"I see..."

Knowing her young lady for many years, Lilian could easily see through those white lies, but she decided to press on. So she changed the subject instead, "Are you feeling better?"

"A lot better. But I guess I want to rest a day more."

"I am glad. Now please go get ready and come downstairs. I have already made you breakfast."

She got up on her feet when Athanasia's clutched her hand.

"Yes, Athy?"

"I dreamt about Lucas..."

"You two really need to add more context if you do not want me to get the wrong idea..."

Athanasia was slightly confused, but as soon as she realized what she had said, she covered her head with the blanket.