Chapter 53: Brotherly Bond

Oh, the misery

Everybody wants to be my enemy

Spare the sympathy

Everybody wants to be my enemy

-

"Lucas as a bodyguard, yes, sure. I've seen him in action. But you? From a genius to a bodyguard. I didn't expect you to turn out like this. What can you do? Smack people with your books?"

"I feel severely attacked. But mind you, Milady. My job is to gather Intel, pinpoint maps, and locate the movement of the abnormality from your surroundings."

"Woah... And Lucas?"

"While Lucas executes the plan."

"I don't want him executing any more plans. If I find out, I will execute those who give the order." She said with a straight face. "Who gave the last order?"

Ezekiel squeezed the steering wheel. "Felix, my father, your father. Those who wish to keep you safe."

"Ultimately, who was it?"

"Your father." He answered, then countered with another question. "Are you disappointed?"

"No. I'm annoyed." Athanasia sighed as she looked out of the window. "I never asked for any of these. I need not for any protection."

"You sound exactly just like Lucas just now."

"Or my dad. What was he even thinking?"

"Of the best solution to keep you from any harm."

"You seemed to have every answer to everything while stuttering back then, Ezekiel."

"You caught me off guard with those questions. I did not prepare myself for such things."

"If you couldn't verbally respond to some minor questions, how do I trust you to be able to react to ambushes?"

"My most sincere apology... But if you wish, I can call for backup-"

"I don't like to be around crowds. You know that too well." She said, turning to her friend. "Anyway, you and Lucas would make a perfect partner."

"We used to be partners."

"Then what happened?"

"Then... He was sent off to lead an expenditure while I was recovering from an injury."

"What kind of injury?" She asked. He did not bother to acknowledge the question. So she tried again. "What injury were you recovering from?"

"...It was a bullet injury." He answered, eyes still focus on the road.

"Bullet?!?!"

"Yes. But fortunately, I survived just fine. Are you up for a story, milady? But I must warn you, this is not the genre in one of the books that you and your cousin frequently read." He could not hear any other questions, as he was expecting one too many. Then he realized Athanasia was too shocked to say anything further, so Ezekiel took a deep breath.

"From what I've remembered, we were still rookies back then, and it happened while we were on one of our drills. It started out as the usual training. The one that would help us with endurance and resistance to nature's wrath, strengthen our mentality, and handle with guns. Should I continue?"

"...Go on."

"With our hands tied to our backs, we were shoved off the aircraft. Then we had to swim to dry land along with our heavy supplies. After cutting off my rope, I helped Lucas off the knots, because he always has trouble with that. We set up our camp for the night before the real test started."