Special

This takes place during Mikuni and Jeje's time at C3. This short story is linked to what was mentioned in chapter 20.

Mikuni was tired. Exhausted, even. They had been going on missions for days without interruption, and using his lead was growing tough. He still wasn't accustomed to his new powers, but he didn't want to be the only one sitting back and doing nothing but watch. Jeje was much more powerful than the vampires they had to hunt every time. They were clearly no match to him. And Tsurugi was far more skilled than the average human, too. On the contrary, without his servamp, Mikuni would be weak. That wasn't the raven's case; he at least could fight on his own. But, as of lately, there were so many subclasses running around that even these two struggled a bit. Mikuni's technic was very useful given the job they had. However, the more his target had killed, and the more he resorted to it, the more drained he felt afterwards. It had been two hours since they had come back from the mission of the day and he could still feel a headache coming ang going from time to time. And Tsurugi yelling in the background didn't help his case.

"Tsurugi-san". He said, much annoyed. "Would you please shut the hell up."
The older man simply grinned as he walked towards him. Jeje had gone in the bathroom first so they were alone. Unsupervised. A horrible situation, hopefully he would be done shortly.
"Eh, what's the matter, Kuni-chan? You're quite moody today."
"Yeah, right. What are you even running your mouth for? Talking to yourself is one thing, but you could at least be quiet about it."
"But there's no fun in that! I quite enjoy the sound of my own voice, you know~"

'Damn narcissistic bastard'. Mikuni thought, and it was left unsaid. He didn't have the energy to argue.
Jeje came back just in time, and the eve headed to the shower right away, without piping a word. The vampire wondered what, in the name of heaven, had just happened between them, and he looked at Tsurugi quizzically. The dark haired man chuckled.
"Teenagers", he said.
Jeje nodded without conviction. He knew something was troubling the blond- in addition to his mother and what went with it-, but he never managed to speak with him. Rather, he didn't dare assuming that role, no matter how much he wanted to.

He really should have insisted.

Even a full night of sleep didn't make Mikuni feel any better. Perhaps because he in fact could never sleep. He was as tired as before, if not more, and walking was proving to be hard already. They were almost at the place indicated by C3's director, extermination once again advised. Again. Tsurugi went looking cheerful as always, it was a mystery to Mikuni. Meanwhile, Jeje seemed neutral about it, he just obeyed his eve and did what he could to protect the two boys. If needed, the blond would have to use his lead. The mere thought made him uneasy. He already had trouble moving his body and felt really hot. Well, the sun was indeed shining hard, so he paid it no mind. They turned at a corner and ended up in a dark and narrow alley. Dark enough for Jeje to revert to his human form. Incidentally, it was also dark enough for subclasses to wander around freely. A noise behind him and Mikuni easily knew what it was.

Tsurugi got ready for battle while Jeje tried to evaluate the risks and whether he should step in or not. There were about ten of them, and they were pretty weak, so the sorcerer finished them all without breaking a sweat. One tried to shoot him form behind, but Jeje was quicker. In a short moment, they had won. Or so they thought. Mikuni's head spinned, and as he searched for support, a hidden subclass jumped out. The boy's reactions were too slow, he took a step backwards but could barely feel his legs, so he stumbled on a rock and fell on his back. He mustered some strength to summon his lead, but it wouldn't come fast enough. As he realized that, a bullet pierced through his assaulter's chest. The latter slumped lifelessly and vanished after Tsurugi dealt the final blow.

"You okay there, Kuni-chan?" He asked, a little concerned. "I didn't sense his presence until last minute, you couldn't have reacted."
"I'm fine. I was taken off guard, that's all." He replied dryly, wanting to ignore that Tsurugi judged comforting him useful. He saw Jeje looking at him next and felt something akin to shame when it seemed he was about to extend his hand to him. "I can stand by myself." He added, effectively getting up. "Are we sure they are all dead now?"
"Yup, I'm calling our driver so he comes pick us up."
That was great news, because the boy knew he would never make it if they were to go by foot. He was so tired. It was so hot. He wanted to rest properly for once.