Chapter 35

-"Mmh, still not good enough..." Mikuni stated after tasting another spoon of pumpkin frosting. All things considered, he had decided to bake Jeje's birthday cake himself, though it had made Misono cringe again at how cheesy he was being. After he had successfully drove the vampire away by requesting for him to try the outfits he had picked, Mikuni had started cooking, but it turned out getting the flavour right was difficult for a beginner like him. The recipe said it would normally take thirty minutes to finish the preparations, but it was obvious it would take him longer to get it right. Thankfully Jeje had plenty of clothes to try on before he could come back.

-"Mikuni?"

Or not. Mikuni nearly freaked out and hid the frostings he'd try so far under a cloth.

-" Done already?" He asked as he turned around, but froze when he saw how good-looking Jeje was with his current outfit.

"Y-yeah, I... like this one pretty much, so I wanted your opinion on it..." Jeje stuttered, looking away and blushing lightly. Mikuni scanned him from head to toes, barely hiding his fascination for his vampire.

"You're handsome. Seriously, it's amazing how flattering those clothes are for you."

"Th-thanks..." Jeje blushed harder and tugged on the sleeve of his sweater. He had chosen the most casual clothing from Mikuni's suggestions and yet the blond gazed at him as if he was the most beautiful person on earth.

-" You don't need nice clothes to look great, Jeje." Mikuni grinned. " But I do want to see you with a different hairstyle." He said as he walked to him, and smiled wider when Jeje let him play with his ponytail. However, he had forgotten a little something.

"You smell of pumpkin... " Jeje noted in a soft voice. He even smiled contently as he said that, and suddenly Mikuni didn't care that his surprise was at risk anymore. Actually, he still had other presents to give to Jeje, so he should as well let him check the cake to make sure it would be a good birthday gift.

-"Well, initially I was intending to keep this a secret until tonight's party, but I just figured I suck at cooking and need an expert to taste my attempts at frosting."

Jeje blinked as the information that Mikuni tried to cook his favorite dessert sunk in, and he smiled fondly as the other man scratched his cheek.

"I would gladly eat those, Mikuni."

"Yeah, well, just so we're clear, it's one spoon each! And none of them is perfected yet, that's why I need your help in the first place." The eve retorted as he handed the first attempt to Jeje, who was all too happy to have a taste. The color was admittedly too pale, meaning there was certainly not enough pumpkin in this one, but he still digged in. Mikuni waited for a reaction, surprisingly anxious of the reaction he could get. However, Jeje's face remained neutral as he made a first comment.

-" It's not bad... but you put too much sugar and not enough pumpkin, so it's a bit..."

"Insipid?"

"Well... yeah. But the other two look better. I mean, the color is brighter, and the texture is a little thicker"

Mikuni giggled, touched that Jeje was still complimenting him somehow. As the servamp swallowed his second spoonful of frosting, it turned out the next attempt had indeed turned out better.

"I think this one is almost perfect." Jeje said truthfully, but Mikuni didn't entirely believe him.

"And I think love is speaking in your stead."

Jeje answered nothing as he tried the last one, but the blond hadn't exexpected him to hesitate with the previous frosting.

-" Eh? You're hesitating, Jeje? That's a first. Want me to choose, then?"