Chapter 18

Watching her leave was a relief, that was for sure, but it also made them anxious. She said she wouldn't come back out of anger, but who knew if it was true. Though Mikuni was pretty much certain she quite disliked him now, there was a possibility she might try again. But what made him feel sick was the fact that he had to speak with his father, who apparently lied to them, and the blonde knew how this would end. He knew a fight was anavoidable at this point, and he was torn between trying to have a normal discussion anyways or simply spit out everything he was keeping inside. Maybe yelling at the man would calm him down, at least.

-"Mikuni." 

It was Misono calling him. The thing was, he felt like if he talked to anyone right now, be it someone he despised or someone he loved, the frustration would make him sound harsh no matter who. And the last thing he wanted was to be mean to his little brother. So he turned slightly, indicating he was listening, his eyes hidden by his bangs and his hat.

-"I know you're furious, and I am, too. But what we feel deep down is not actually anger- it's disappointment. And chagrin, because we wanted to trust our dad, and it just so appears he fooled us. But that's what Erina said, and I still want to believe in him somehow so... please, try to ask him before deciding. Hear him out, and if it's what you imagined... well you can do what you want. I know you won't harm him, so anything else will be fine. I won't be sad if you leave with Jeje because I'm aware you can't do without him." 

It was true. All the things Misono said were true. And that was why Mikuni was going to take his advice and ask before judging his father's actions. He could understand his reasons even if he didn't agree with them. 

A long sigh escaped his lips that was followed by a reassuring smile to the boy. He then adressed to the snake on his shoulder.

-"Well, you heard him Jeje. You both stay here while I'm gone. And, Misono... just in case, tell Lily to bring our luggage. Please."

The younger boy's mouth set in a thin line as he nodded, and with that Mikuni could go accomplish his unpleasant task. He turned on his heels, determined, but a hand grabbed his. He looked up to see his partner's masked face and tilted his head, to which the other responded by planting a kiss on his forehead. There was a blank, some embarassed blushing and coughing in the back and then Mikuni was chuckling.

-"Me too, Jeje." He simply said.

The servamp reluctantly let go of his hand, but he had to accept he couldn't follow him there. His eve would be back soon enough, no matter how their discussion was going to turn out. He just hoped he wouldn't break like he did after his mother's death. No one could protect Mikado from his wrath otherwise, not even Mikuni himself...

The man was completely unsuspicious of anything that could and had occured in his house since Erina's arrival. He wasn't expecting his son to be here since he thought their guest would be at their house for at least one more hour. But there stood Mikuni, harbouring a not so neutral expression and visibly glaring at the older man. The latter frowned as he was starting to think about possible scenarios and what could be the reason for the blonde's presence this early. He wouldn't be surprised je someone told him the two had a fight because of Mikuni's behaviour.

-" Is there a problem? Has Erina already left?" He asked.

Mikuni swore he seethed with anger at the first question. Like Mikado didn't know what was wrong. Oh wait, actually he didn't.

-" I spoke with her, as you requested of me." The term 'blackmailing' would have been more suitable in this context, but he promised he wouldn't act like a bitch at first.

-"Turns out the wedding was her wish and not some kind of compensation for the borrowed money, as you said all this time. I just need to know, dad, whether you'd been informed of it or not. Did you knowingly made me believe all that or did they lie to you, too?"

Mikado really looked surprised for two seconds, and the one after he was back to being emotionless.

-"I can't hide it anymore now..." He said staring at his desk. He seemed to be very bothered, but Mikuni wasn't paying attention to that. So his father was aware of Erina's stupid feelings and whim and he still acted as if he wasn't ?

-"What the hell do you mean by that?!" Mikuni nearly spat.

"You're telling me this was also your plan? For what crazy reason would you follow this scheme, seriously?! If we don't owe them, then there is no need to go to such lenghts-"

"Now you shut up, Mikuni. I won't allow you to run your mouth in front of me. You have no right to judge me or my actions after what you did."

That...hurt. He thought they were over with it but it seemed he could never be forgiven, after all. Well, he could understand people resented him. He was never the good guy, and that was fine by him. But this man was his dad, and he was just as guilty as he was, so he would have thought they could have talked it through. But it was pointless. He knew why. He wasn't going to give up on that person. Never.

-" You're getting old or something? I get it already. You've repeated it, like, three times since I came back. But that's just another facade, isn't it? The one you resent is Jeje. You've said so before. You think if you say all those terrible things to me, I will chase him away. Well, I have news for you. This man is my everything. I will literally die if I don't have him around, and I'm not referring to the contract. He helped me when no one else did, and he said he loved me eventhough I was an ass to him at first. So I won't give up on this battle. I don't care what you say, I've never considered myself a good person anyways. And I don't regret killing mom even if I miss her." He stated as he prepared to leave the office.

Mikado stopped him halfway by calling out his name but it was no use.

-"Mikuni. I won't mention the wedding ever again. But if you choose to leave then don't think about coming back."

The blonde snickered at him but his eyes weren't laughing.

-"When you put it like that, it's almost as if you were directly asking for me to do so. Don't worry, I got the memo. You won't see us around anymore."

And with that, he slammed the office's door for the last time.