Chapter 11

After Mikuni managed to calm down with Jeje's help they thought it would be wiser to tell Misono too. They didn't want a repeat of last time, it had been hard enough to hide the truth from him and play the role of the villain. And Mikuni didn't want to lose his trust one more time if things were to get worse. It was always possible that they would have to take some drastic measures, like leaving the house one more time. Except the envy pair had decided not to come back this time. It was still only a 'what if' scenario but they both knew they could never step in here again if it had to happen. So telling all this to Misono clearly was the best choice, and maybe the teen would think about a plan Mikuni hadn't. 

Then the best thing to do would be to meet this girl as planned by both their families, since trying to reason them beforehand would most probably be pointless. It'd be better to agree to whatever they said at first, then they could try to dissuade them and if that didn't work, Jeje said they would flee somewhere far away, like America. He also promised he wouldn't kill Mikado out of anger, he was better than this and the man didn't deserve to die. Granted, he made some bad decisions and involved his son in his problems, but calling him evil would be an exageration. 

Though in Mikuni's eyes he was just a coward who couldn't face his responsibilities by himself. And he hadn't told Jeje about their 'agreement', either. Dissuading them about the wedding was one thing, convincing his father that the servamp wasn't a monster was another. Not to mention his dad clearly held a grudge against him, be it justified or not. Mikado just couldn't understand that only his wife was at fault, he still thought Jeje had influenced her. Which was obviously wrong since Mikuni had been his eve for years and had never succombed to envy. 

The blonde was deep in thought while they were walking to Misono's room, so much that he hadn't noticed his partner calling his name several times already. The tall vampire finally tapped his shoulder, which made him look up at last.

-"Ah Jeje, sorry. You were saying?"

"Nothing, but you were lost in your thoughts. You don't want to tell Misono after all?" 

Mikuni unconsciously bit his lower lip at the question, telling his brother wasn't what was troubling him.

-"That's not it." He answered, " It's more like... even if we manage to convince him the wedding is a bad idea, and it won't solve everything, there's still a little problem."

"Which is?" Mikuni could tell Jeje was frowning, probably upset that his eve still tried to hide things from him. 

"That's, how should I say... my father thinks it's partly your fault if mom became crazy and tried to kill Misono, and... he kind of forced me to make a deal with him. He said I could keep you by my side if I show him I am trustworthy... that's to say, if I marry Erina."

Mikuni struggled to let out the words, it was painful to say because he didn't want to hurt Jeje. He didn't want him to feel guilty anymore. Said vampire sighed then said:

-"Well that makes things even more complicated... are you stupid?"

Mikuni made a face at this, first because Jeje didn't seem to be affected at all, and second because he dared calling him stupid.

-"Hey, who do you think you are talking to?! Besides, I couldn't say no since it would have meant giving up on you, and that I can't do. And how come you're so calm?" 

"I'm not particularly calm, but... he's not entirely wrong. When our eves are mentally too weak, our inner power consumes them. You know that."

"Yeah, I do, but then again it's not your fault if it happened! Like you said, it only occurs when the eve has become too weak to handle the power. Mom didn't even try to fight back! That old man can't even understand that!"