Chapter Thirty-Eight

I sat at my moms bed side waiting for her to wake up. Seeing her, the strongest woman I know, handcuffed to the hospital bed was enough was destroying me. Clay came in and took a seat on the other side of her bed. Almost as if she sensed him, she started to stir awake. 

"Shit" were the first words that came out of her mouth as she saw the handcuff around her wrist. 

"What were you thinking coming back here?" Clay asked

"I was thinking I was going to see my grandchildren," I looked down at my hands in my lap, "You lied to me" she said to clay specifically. 

"I'm sorry" was all Clay could manage

"Where's Jax? I want answers", my mom ordered. Clay stood up to find him. 

"Mom", I started to speak, "I'm sorry". Knowing what my mom was about to find out, led to unstoppable tears. She rested her hand on mine trying to comfort me in some way.  Jax and Tara walked in and Tara tried to sneak out but mom caught her. 

"This involved you to doc", Tara turned back around. 

"What happened?" 

"When Cameron killed halfsac he took Abel. I wasn't there", Jax answered.

"Tara were you there?" She nodded, she was clearly too scared to give my mom the play by play. Mom looked at me next, "Were you?" 

"Yes, it was right after you went into the house to kill Zobelle's daughter. Kip walked in to tell us that he couldn't get you out when Cameron came in with a gun. He came in yelling and it work the kids up. I begged him to kill me instead but he kept insisting on "a son for a son", He grabbed a knife and Kip went for the knife but Cameron was faster. I tried to fight him to keep him from taking Abel but he managed to knock me over and knocked me out. When I woke up Happy was in front of me, Cameron had taken both kids. He hid Harper in a trash can to distract us, we found her just in time in the neighbors trash can. She spent the night in the ER but is okay now". My mom laid there absorbing all the information. 

"We hired a bounty hunter," Jax pulls the picture of Cameron and Abel out, "he's somewhere up north in Canada, we are heading up there. I'm sorry ma, we just wanted to protect you".

"Bull shit, you were protecting yourselves", everyone looked ashamed. "He's not in Vancouver, that call I got last night that triggered all this, it was Maureen Ashby." 

"Who's Maureen Ashby?" Jax asked.

"McGee's old lady, friend of the MC"

"Abel's in Belfast", I felt my heart race at my mom's words. 

"No can't be, O'neil and Jimmy say Cameron get scooped up as soon as he hit Belfast, he didn't have Abel with him". 

"Well then somebody's full of shit" mom's heart monitor starts going off. 

"Take it easy baby."

"I'll take it easy when someone can tell me where they hell my grandson is!" A nurse came in to usher everyone out. I did not want to leave her alone, so I kinda hid behind Tara. The nurse left and I was still in the room. 

"Mom I tired to save him, please know that".

"I know baby, the anger I have is not with you, you acted like a mother and tried to protect your family", the look in her eyes told me she was furious, and I think I know who was going to get her wrath. I excused myself and she asked me to get Clay for her. I grabbed him from down the hall and sent him back to my mom. I found Happy in the waiting room with Harper. 

"How is she?" Harper reached out for me so I took her. 

"Okay, she knows about Abel, and it's only a matter of time before mom tears Tara a new one". I sighed. "I think I'm going to take Harper to see my mom. She needs it". He smiled and kissed my head, he took my hand and we went to the room together. Clay was about to open the door when we a walked up. 

"There she is", he gave a little smile grabbing Harpers hand. She giggled seeing her papa. We went in and saw Uncer talking to mom. "Are we interrupting?"

"No I was just telling Gemma that, Charming isn't too kind to the MC any more, I have a lot of eyes on me".

"What does that mean?" I asked handing Harper to my mom. 

"I have to be a cop for a little while. I'm sorry", with that he just walked out. 

"Well that makes things difficult". My mom just looked at Harper in her arms and made faces to make her laugh. I let her be with Harper for a couple minutes before I took her back for nap. Happy drove us back to the apartment, after I got Harper down I sat next to Happy and looked at him. 

"What?" He  looked at me smiling. 

"You have to go to Belfast". 

"I know", he took a deep breath, "but you have to stay here".

"I know" I leaned my head on his shoulder. I know he wants to stay and he knows I want to go.