Old and New

Friday the 11th, (6 days since the incident)

The next day Izuku wakes up and yawns looking around. He smiles remembering what happened last night. Aizawa and Yamada are his dads now, his family. 

He gets up and gets dressed. He eyed the old box that sat in the corner of his room labeled books. He heads downstairs and immediately smells breakfast cooking.

"Hey Zuzu, how'd you sleep?" Yamada says as he sees Izuku enter the kitchen and clicks on his hearing aid.

"I-i slept well thank you."

"Come sit down, I made pancakes."

"O-okay."

"Good morning Izu," Aizawa says as Izuku sits down at the dining room table.

"Good morning," Izuku says. They talk during breakfast about what they are going to do today.

"So today I have to go patrol, I'll be back around 4 or 5pm depending on how much paperwork I have to do," Yamada says, absentmindedly signing what he said as he talks. Izuku makes curious eyes at the hand movements but doesn't say anything.

"Okay, Izu and I will probably go shopping."

"That sounds like fun, you guys have a good time. I'm going to get going, Love you hun, love you Zuzu."

"Have a good day, be safe babe, love you too."

"B-bye papa, love you," Izuku says, waving bye to Yamada as he steps out the door. "H-hey, dad."

"Yeah Izu?"

"I-i have a f-few questions..."

"What are they, you can ask me anything, don't be afraid to ask okay?"

"O-okay, umm well I-i saw papa doing something w-with his hand while he was t-talking. Why does he do that, isn't it sign language?"

"Oh right, we forgot to tell you. Not many people know this but Hizashi is partially deaf, so he uses sign language to communicate."

"Wait? Really? Then how does he hear me when I'm talking, or his students?"

"Yes really, he wears a hearing aid and it helps but it makes everyone sound glitchy. When he comes home we usually just use sign language to communicate."

"Oh... okay... Umm w-well c-can you teach me?"

"If you want to then sure, he wouldn't mind if you didn't."

"I-i know, but I want to."

"Okay, I'll start teaching you the basics and hand spelling. Oh but something you should think about is your sign for I love you. Hizashi and I have our own signs for I love you so it's special for us too, you use it with family and significant others."

"W-what's yours and papas sign?"

"Well, papa would kiss your forehead and nose. I usually kiss one or both of your temples. Like this," Aizawa leans over to Izuku and kisses his left temple. "I love you Izu."

"Oh okay, I-i'll think about mine," Izuku says with a small smile. "Oh, and I had another question."

"Okay shoot"

"W-well I saw this box in my room for a couple days now and I didn't know why it was there."

"Right, I totally forgot, come on," Aizawa says heading upstairs. Izuku quietly follows and they enter his room. "So these were some of my old books from when I was around your age and I brought them up to see if you would be interested in any of them."

"R-really these are yours?"

"Yeah, you don't have to go through them now but I thought you might like them."

"Thank you! I can't wait to look at them." Izuku says, giving Aizawa a hug.

"I was thinking today we can go get some more stuff for your room, maybe some new clothes, anything else you would want to."

"Okay!"

"Get ready and we'll leave in a bit okay," Aizawa says, getting up and exiting the room. Izuku gets ready, but his curiosity gets the better of him. 

As he was about to leave his room his eyes wandered to the box. He just wanted to look at one, he was curious what Aizawa was into when he was a kid. 

Izuku quickly opened the box and peered inside.

 He saw lots of different books but the first thing that piqued his interest was a spiral-bound notebook. Izuku grabs it and sits on his bed, opening the notebook.

 He quickly flips through the old notes on heroes, he sees diagrams and stops every other page to quickly scan the page.

 He enjoys reading the frantic notes of a younger Aizawa, who appears to be a first-year at UA. He finds a page that intrigues him, amongst the notes, there is an amazing sketch of a young Yamada. 

Clearly, the beginning of Aizawa's crush on him because a few hearts do decorate this page.

 Izuku smiles and continues finding more small sketches, poems, and even a crumpled note that says would you go out with me, clearly never delivered because it had no reply. 

Then he finds another sketch, a boy who he doesn't recognize.

 Then suddenly a few pages after the notes become almost illegible and the pages are wrinkled from water... or tears. 

He flips through the rest of the notebook and the writing seems to get better but the 'personal notes' seem to be sadder. 

The small sketches of Yamada have notes of 'am I disgusting for liking him.' 'It's all my fault.' 'I wish I could disappear.' To say the least, Izuku was shocked. 

He was slightly concerned but he knew that his teacher cares so much for him that he probably had already worked through his own feelings. 

He finally gets to the end of the notebook and he is met with a fantastic sketch of Yamada, this other boy, and Midnight, all smiling. 

Izuku smiles knowing Aizawa was the one who drew this and he was probably smiling at his friends while drawing it.

He hears Aizawa's voice calling him from the stairs to come down, he slides the notebook next to his Hero notebooks on his shelf and yells down. "Coming!"

He runs downstairs and follows Aizawa to the car. He sits in the passenger side and his mind flashes back to the notebook and something his mom once told him.