Chess is the game

Once the school day was over Aizawa drove Izuku to his next therapy appointment. It's Wednesday, it was Izuku's 3rd appointment and he was starting to get more comfortable. Today he went in alone and it was different than the other days. 

He walked in and saw his therapist Dr. Wall or Jasper (He insists that Izuku call him by his first name) and another man who was sitting in a chair that was usually empty. The other man looked older than Izuku's therapist. He had auburn short hair with some grey decorating the curly locks. His eyes were dull but there was a gimmer or passion that infected the dull orange irises. He was making small talk with Jasper before Izuku stepped into the room.

"Oh, Izuku right on time like always! Welcome back." Jasper said, pushing some of his deep blue hair back out of his eyes. "Come sit down, I have brought someone today and we're going to do something a little different for this meeting."

"O-oh okay," Izuku says, being a little uncomfortable with an untrusted adult in the room.

"He is a volunteer who comes in very often to spend time with the patients here. I thought since you have mentioned that you would like to start rebuilding your trust we can start here. Mr. Sidwell here loves to play Chess and was a national winner of Chess competitions. He's retired now so he gives back to the community by spending time here teaching Chess."

"Oh come on Jasper, let me explain that all. We don't want to intimidate the kid. Anyways, I'm Ralph Sidwell, and yes I'm good at chess but I'm here to teach you and play a few rounds. Is that alright with you?"

"U-umm s-sure. S-sounds nice." The green-haired boy stuttered out.

"Alright then, we can go out to the garden. There's a nice shady spot with a perfect table for our game." Mr. Sidwell says, calmly getting up and walking towards the door. His curly auburn hair bounces as he walks. Izuku quickly follows, kinda eager not to talk about his trust issues for the next 2 hours.

He hears Jasper call after him, "If you ever feel uncomfortable you can come back inside and we can do something else, he will take no offense." Izuku slightly smiles knowing that will probably happen, he doesn't like new people, but this one seems different.

They walked outside to the spot previously mentioned and the Chessboard was already set up. They were in a small outside garden still on the property of the Therapy office. 

Surrounding them were tons of violets, daisies, and other colorful flowers. Their smell was very soothing, so when Izuku sat down he found himself taking a big breath enjoying the smells that encompassed them.

"So Izuku? Right?" the older man asks, slightly cocking his head, which made his orange eyes glimmer from the sun peeking through the bushes that surrounded them.

"Y-yeah... I-I'm I-Izuku."

"Well, Izuku, have you ever played Chess before?"

"I-I guess... I-I know w-what all t-the pieces do."

"Well, that's great! Why don't we start then, I can help remind you if you get confused."

"O-okay."

They begin their first game and unbeknownst to Mr. Sidwell; Izuku is good at strategy. Soon the teen beat him and of course, Ralph went easy on him but he sensed he wouldn't need to for long. 

He was right, after their third game he was giving it his all to defeat Izuku, he had never met anyone who was almost completely new to Chess, learn this fast, and be able to Checkmate a retired master so fast. They continued to play and talk, this kid had now even further piqued his interest.

"So, Izuku, how was your day?"

"I-it w-was okay."

"Really? Did you do anything fun? You go to UA right?"