Chapter Twelve

A/N: hello and welcome back to padieland

this chapter is everything you want. it's fluffy, it's hot, it's funny, it's the perfect way to procrastinate that assignment you've been putting off ;)

enjoy!

————————————————————

"You just...kissed Adelaide."

————————————————————

Hushed whispers rippled through the room when Mr. Harrington stepped up to the stage in the auditorium.

Everyone on the team was anxious to know where the trip would be for this semester and if there would another near-death situation. The decathlon had lost some credibility with the parents after the DC fiasco, but the kids loved it— only because they hadn't died. It made for a great story. Plus, everyone made the news (not the Midtown School News, the actual news) and that was probably the most exposure any one of them had had before. So, despite Mr. Harrington being on edge, all the kids were secretly hoping for another cool trip that made the news again.

Not Adelaide and Peter, though. They had had enough near-death experiences to last them a lifetime. If they never had another one again, they would be more than happy with that.

"Alright, alright settle down everybody," Mr. Harrington said. Everyone settled down. He nodded approvingly. "Most — if not all of you — have heard that we are competing in another decathlon competition this semester. I know you're anxious to know where the competition will be held this time considering that last time...Anyway, this semester's competition will be held at the New York Expo center!"

The whole team was silent.

Flash spoke up.

"You mean...here? In New York?" he said, asking what everyone was thinking. Mr. Harrington beamed proudly.

"Exactly! It's only a 45-minute ride from the school," he said, "There's no way anything can go awry this time."

Boy, if only he knew how wrong he was.

The team began to protest loudly while Adelaide and Peter both breathed a sigh of relief. Mr. Harrington was right. If they were just going to stay in New York, they would definitely be much safer.

Besides, Adelaide wasn't sure if Tony would have even allowed her to leave the state. Even though it had been over a month since the whole thing in the warehouse, he hadn't relaxed his radius of safety by that much. The most she ever traveled to lately was around Manhattan and Queens for when she went to school or a friend's house.

She couldn't blame him. If she were in his shoes, she probably would have done the same. She just hoped he would be okay with her stepping foot outside of New York by the time summer break rolled around or it was going to be quite a boring summer.

"What a relief," Peter mumbled to her as the rest of the team pelted Mr. Harrington with questions. Adelaide nodded.

"Seriously," she said, "I was worried he was going to say London or something."

"That would be a mess," Peter chuckled, "Especially with Flash's obsession with Kate Middleton and everything."

"I would sell my left arm to watch him try to sneak into the Buckingham Palace," Adelaide grinned, making him laugh louder. They caught MJ watching them suspiciously and immediately sobered up. MJ was the most observant person in their class. It took their best stealth skills to keep their relationship hidden from her.