Chapter Eighty-Two

A/N: wow, hi. it's been what? six months? i never thought i would put this story on such a long break but life has been crazy.

i don't wanna get too much into it but i am so glad to be back and although i don't want to promise weekly updates, i will definitely do my very best.

hope you guys are all doing well!!

about this chapter—it's a pretty important one. remember how adelaide found the solution to all her problems in the last chapter? well, this is her going through with it :)

enjoy!

———————————————————
"Is she drunk?

What did you put in her coffee?"
———————————————————

It was well past the middle of the night when Adelaide knocked on the door of the compound.

After Thanos, Happy had compound rebuilt, but Adelaide hadn't been here since then. She couldn't make herself walk the earth where Tony had taken his final breaths. It was like a black hole, coming back here even after all this time. She felt the urge, the undeniable pull toward the dark place in her mind that she had only left a month ago. She had moved on from Tony, and only she knew how hard that had been for her. She couldn't go through it again. She would never survive it.

So she ignored the black hole and focused on the reason she had come here in the first place.

The new compound hardly looked recognizable. The building was...spread out over more land. Even in this dark, she could see there was a lot more protection installed— not that any of it could stop Thanos if he were to rise from the dead and attack earth again. Still, it was much more heavily guarded than before.

Yet, it seemed empty inside at this hour. She wasn't aware that anyone lived here anymore except maybe Rhodey. And at this hour, he was probably in the middle of a deep sleep.

Suddenly, the little light over the security camera came on and she heard a voice through the speaker.

"Adelaide?" She immediately recognized Rhodey's voice.

"Rhodey," she breathed in relief, "Can you let me in? I've got something important."

"Is—"

"Everyone's fine. Just open the door," she pressed. She had waited too long. Even the drive here had been agonizing. She hadn't even put music on in the car. She couldn't wait a minute longer. She tapped her foot anxiously. Soon enough, the security system allowed her inside.

Rhodey came down the stairs to meet her, still wearing his pajamas beneath a robe, and rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"It's three in the morning," he said. Adelaide had never been more awake.

"Where's Bruce? Is he here?"

"Bru...Adelaide, what is going on? It's three in the morning," he said, "There are birds who are still sleeping."

"Bruce, Rhodey," she insisted, looking around the dark compound, "Is he here? I need him. Like, right now."

"Are you drunk?" Rhodey asked in disbelief.

"Where is he? Call him. Call him, right now. Tell him to get his green ass here asap," she demanded, shimmying off her coat and making herself comfortable. "It's urgent. Really urgent."