Chapter Seventy-Eight

A/N: so sorry for the late update but school has started and things are just so hectic rn ugh

in good news, i finished the novel that i was writing!!! it ended up being 129,000 words and took me a solid 3 months to finish but it's finally done. the first draft at least.

as for bad news, now i'm trying to write the prequel and i have no plot for it. just vibes. and i can't write a book on vibes 😭 but yeah it's currently stressing me the hell out because even though i literally just wrote a novel, i forgot how hard it was to write a book

anyway, wish me luck and enjoy this chapter!

————————————————————

"Stark genes, right?"

————————————————————

That night, when Adelaide finally went to sleep, she tossed and turned in Tony's bed for hours.

Tony would have hated to see you this way

She scowled in the darkness of Tony's room, pulling his covers over her head as if that would be enough to drown out Happy's voice in her head. She didn't want to consider what he said. She wanted to stay here and live in her delusions.

She sighed, turning over to her other side. Tony was there with his head lying on the pillow beside hers. She could barely make out his face in the dark but she knew it well enough that she could fill in the missing pieces.

"No, I didn't steal your bed," she whispered to him, "I'm just borrowing it." Tony smiled at her.

She glared at him, "What do you know? You've never had to live without me forever. You have no idea how hard this is and you have no right to blame me for wanting to feel closer to you."

"I know," he whispered, "I didn't say anything. But..."

"Don't you dare take Happy's side," she told her father, "I don't care if he's right. I don't want to say goodbye to you forever." Her voice broke on the last word and tears quickly filled her eyes. It seemed that she was always on the verge of tears lately.

Tony's expression grew sympathetic. She sniffled.

"I hate to see you this way, kid. I know you love me and that makes me the luckiest person in the world, but you can't love just...me. There's so many other people that need you, that love you. I'd be selfish to keep you all to myself. Besides, this isn't you. You know that."

"I know you want me to move on,"
she whispered, sniffling again, "but I can't move on, dad. I just can't."

"This house...there's so many memories here," she whispered, her voice breaking even more, "Ever since I came here, I've been feeling so much better. I know it's all a lie, but having you around makes it easier to get out of bed and feed myself. When...When you're not here, I just c-completely f-fall apart—"

She began crying and hid arms came down around her immediately. She buried her face into his chest, crying until it hurt so bad. Crying until she nearly split into two.

"Shh, it's okay," he murmured softly, "It's okay."

Adelaide cried until the sun finally peeked through the clouds and the rays hit her curtains.

When the morning finally arrived, Adelaide felt hollow inside. She lied there on the bed well after the sun came up. She stared at the Tony sleeping, thinking. She was numb all over. Her limbs didn't feel like her own.