Chapter Seventy

A/N: okay you guys, this is it. we're finally starting endgame now and there's officially no going back...

————————————————————

"Does this mean you've moved on?"

————————————————————

OCTOBER (2023)

"Nat, it's actually so amazing," Adelaide told the assassin, "I never thought I'd get to see the whole world like this, you know?"

They were sitting in the compound, in one of the offices with Natasha behind her laptop and Adelaide snacking on a pb&j with her feet kicked up on the desk. The assassin's ballet shoes were taking up another chair next to Adelaide— something she had been practicing earlier this evening. In the years that Adelaide had started coming back to the compound, she had tried to learn ballet as Natasha taught her, but she could never have enough patience to master it and she eventually gave up.

She was much happier practicing with her punching bag and targets instead.

"Yeah," Natasha smiled, "I know. But I wanna know what happened in Santorini."

"Nothing happened in Santorini," Adelaide said, trying to keep her face neutral, "I bought a couch for my place if that's what you're asking about."

"You know I'm not asking about that," she grinned, "It was all over your face when you were talking about it. Seriously, who am I gonna tell?"

"Fine," Adelaide sighed, looking down at the half-eaten sandwich in her hand, "His name was Theo. He was the son of the owner of the place where I got my couch and I ran into him at the store. He asked me out on a date so we just had dinner by the beach. That's it. And I'm probably never gonna see him again."

Natasha knew that wasn't all that had happened, but she didn't press. Instead, she studied the girl's face carefully. In her time, she'd come to read many faces as clearly as a book.

"Does this mean you've moved on?" she asked. Adelaide continued to stare at her sandwich.

Some days she could swear she was over Peter. He felt so deep into her past that he hardly crossed her mind. Then there were days when she just couldn't stop thinking about him and he felt like he was so close that if she closed her eyes and focused, she'd feel his arms around her. But the absence of the songbird against her skin was a reminder of what she had to feel.

There was only one right answer to this question anymore.

"Yes," Adelaide said quietly, "I have." Natasha waited for her to say something else. When she didn't, she nodded in understanding, leaning back in her seat.

so here's where the book might look a bit different, i'm just gonna kind tell you all the boring stuff that happens cause you've already seen it in the movie and then we jump back into the stuff i already have written

during this conversation with nat, steve shows up and they three of them chit chat for a bit until they see the security cameras and find scott standing outside the front door

they bring scott in and he explains everything to them as he does in the movie and adelaide's mind is racing with a million and a half thoughts, but really, all she can think is: does this mean peter can come back?

but she struggles with it because she doesn't want to get her hopes up (again) and also because she's still convinced that she's moved on from him. i mean, the songbird necklace is sitting in her dresser and not hanging around her neck, for one...

cut to them driving back to the cabin where tony's not sure what adie's expression means until steve (who tony hasn't seen in years) explains it to him. ofc, as we all know, tony refuses the offer because he's already "got my second chance right here"

adelaide is team tony on this one cause she doesn't want to have false hope all over again but that night she can't sleep because all she can think about is if scott found a way to survive then there actually is a small chance that peter and everyone else can come back and maybe she doesn't do this for peter, but maybe she does this for everyone else who deserves a second chance.

she leaves her room, sleepless, and finds morgan secretly watching tony work from the stairs so she quietly sits down on the stairs beside her and they watch their dad working his usual magic until he figures out a way to do it. morgan gives them away when she copies him saying "shit". then he takes them both to bed and they have the "i love you 3000" scene except it's actually "we love you 3000" 🥺

and then we go through the usual motions of endgame where they all split into different teams to find the stones and adelaide goes with tony and steve. griffin goes with bruce.

there, she meets howard and it's alllll full circle kind of. initially, she can't meet his eye, but tony's moved past it and he's accepted that he can't change the fact that she killed his parents because she was brainwashed. so he encourages adie to talk to howard and by the end of the conversation, adie's also finally gotten her closure.

they all come back with the stones except for natasha :(( adelaide is absolutely heartbroken but she's tired of sitting around and crying because that's all she's been doing for the past five years so she steps up and decides that they absolutely have to find a way to see this through because they owe it to her.

and then...bruce snaps his fingers.

—————

A/N: peter is going to be back in the next chapter and oh my god is it going to get crazy

so i know this format is a bit different but i know we've all seen these scenes a million times already so i didn't really see much of a point in writing them out especially when i felt so blocked to begin with anyway. i hope that this way we'll be able to get to the fun, dramatic stuff that's still new but related to the old? if that makes sense lol.

i hope this new approach isn't too weird!

question: how do you think adie will react when she sees peter?

see you guys next week! (hopefully)