Dolan

Archion was uncharacteristically restless, the dragon had swooped by the Slate Fortress that towered high into the clouds. Dolan was located on the eastern coast of Aldernan, but the fortress was located within the center of the capital.

Their buildings and town square were built out into a beautiful geometric blooming shape with the fortress as the center piece. It wasn't as wide and open and airy as the Great Elven City of Eostrun, nor was it as compact and ostentatious as some of the buildings in Brilux.

Humble was what came to mind with Dolan.

And then overhead the sight of dragons and wyverns and other winged beasts would constantly patrol skies.

Elves were in tune with the magic in the air while the Beastmen were in tune with the very nature itself. It was within their culture to be in a state of balance with all of the things around them.

Which is why it was odd that Archion was on his seventh lap around the Slate Fortress of Dolan once more.

"Ryo, go see what Archion is on about." King Jiro looked to his son, his midnight hair was cropped short but his eyes held the same slitted topaz look as his son's.

"Yes, father." Ryo bowed his head quickly, Kieara followed him out of the throne room where they were helping to attend to some business with the King of Dolan.

"Don't bother rushing back, it's important to see what is bothering him. Always trust his senses, Ryo." Queen Yuki called out after the pair.

Kieara turned around and nodded to the Queen.

The throne room was at the top of the Slate Fortress, the most common way of getting up there from the ground was to take a winged mount to the platform that granted immediate access to the throne room.

Ryosuke stood at the edge of the platform, he looked off in the sky to see a red shadow quickly approaching once more.

Kieara jumped fearlessly with Ryosuke, the two easily grabbing a hold on Archion's harness mid-flight.

"What's wrong?" Kieara leaned over slightly and rubbed a hand against one of his ruby scales. She had a hand at Ryosuke waist while she sat astride behind him.

"He senses something from over the water." Ryosuke called out to Kieara, "Hang on to me, Kier."

She wrapped both her hands around Ryosuke's waist, the next second she felt Archion surge faster into the distance, Dolan becoming distant behind them.

"Could it be a procession from the Beastmen in Oseth?" Kieara tried.

Ryosuke shook his head, "They're better about sending ahead messengers to prepare to receive them." He squinted.

There was a flock of dots rushing closer in the distance.

"Get ready, Archion." Ryosuke whispered, the air between the dragon and the rider became charged with a rich and hot magic. Kieara tightened the grip around Ryosuke, the two were getting ready to breath fire if came to it.

An eagle's cry cut through the air.

"No..." Ryosuke sat up, the flare of magic died with his words. Archion slowed to a glide, the air no longer rushing past them.

"What is it, love?" Kieara felt the tense energy about her mate.

Ryosuke shook his head, one hand clutch at Kieara's hand at his waist while the other held on to the harness.

Archion shot skyward.

A figure from the distance matched their pace.

"Ryo!" Kieara yelled over the rush of clouds, the beastman tightened his hold on her hand while they climbed higher and higher.

The figure started to come into view.

The auburn fur.

The black talons as sharp as diamond.

The rich white plume.

Feathered ears pinned back.

The shine of such a proud beak in the sun.

Phoenix Stroud making a bid for the heavens alongside Ryosuke Shoukon and Kieara Hemmingway.

"No..." Kieara's eyes went wide at the rider who flew beside them.

With the intensity of a wave crashing against the cliffside, the two came to a stop. The clouds way below them, the air cold and thin which did nothing to calm the thrash of Kieara's pulse within her entire body.

"You're not... you can't..." Kieara stammered out.

Ryosuke could only look with his topaz eyes wide and his mouth ajar.

Phoenix pulled at her tunic's collar.

Lionheart's mark proudly glowed in the sunlight against her chest, next to a new scar.

"Hey." Phoenix simply said.

Kieara nearly jumped out of the harness, but Ryosuke caught her.

Phoenix let out a small smile and flew closer to Archion.

The dragon allowed the gryphon rider to jump on to his back, right behind Kieara.

The blond turned around, Ryosuke mindful to keep a hold on his mate while she was near frantic in her movements.

"You... you're real." Kieara reached out, her hands touching Phoenix's face, her shoulder, her arms, and then down to her hands.

The hands that had the same scars she would always hide away.

"Yeah, Kier... I'm real." Phoenix smiled, she took her friend's hands in her own, "I'm back."

She threw herself into Phoenix's embrace, "You fucking idiot!" She screamed into Phoenix's chest.

"You stubborn bastard!"

"You moronic imbecile!"

The insults came out with each heave of her shoulder, "Where were you? Why didn't you come back sooner? Why did you let us think you were dead?"

Phoenix sighed, she ran her hands soothingly on Kieara's back, knowing it was better to let her friend let it all out. The women clutched at each other so desperately and yet in so much relief, relishing the soft touch of the other once more after all that transpired.

She looked up at Ryosuke, the Beastman Prince had regained his composure.

The two locked eyes.

"That's the thing..." Phoenix said slowly, "I did die."