{auction}

A/N: hi my sweets! I am so sorry for not uploading much, BUT exam week is OVER, I have one more left and then I am done for the summer, so I'll hopefully upload more regularly... I'm hoping for 2 updates each week, depends on what cute one shots I'll find 🥰

Here's a suuuuper long one as a sorry for waiting! Sadly I didn't write down to who it belongs 🥺 Credits goes to them❤️

___

"You can say no," Jisoo says.

"You should say no," Jennie corrects, a smile flitting over her lips. "This really isn't your scene, hubby."

"It's not mine, either," Jisoo adds, as if in hasty apology. "It's just that someone has to get up on that stage, and I can't ask my employees to do a thing I'm not willing to--"

"If I say yes," Roseanne interrupts, "will you stop bickering like we're coming up on your fiftieth wedding anniversary?"

It shuts them up, at least, though Roseanne suspects she's wandered into dangerous territory by mistake. Jisoo's lips are twitching like it might at any moment bolt straight off her face, and Jennie is suddenly inspecting the ceiling tiles as though they hold great intrigue. Roseanne almost feels guilty--it's clear, despite a year of planning co-ownership over this establishment, neither of them have looked their obvious crush in the face. She supposes they've been a bit preoccupied with trying to stage a grand opening that will make all the money sunk into the place worthwhile.

The auction is a good idea. Baskets of fresh baked goods, packages ranging from free coffee for a year to a tour of the kitchen for under-ten kids, all manner of cake-and-cookie-themed games. It'll be a carnival of sorts, showing the small town of theirs just how promising its newest bakery will be.

It really isn't even that big a deal.

"I'll do it," she says with a shrug. "Why not? What's a night?"

"Twelve hours of endless possibility," Jisoo says.

"A fool's errand," Jennie says.

"You're auctioning a dinner," Roseanne says with exasperation. "A nice, pleasant evening of conversation. It's not like you're offering some stranger my hand in marriage. Anyway, who knows if anyone will even be interested?"

"They will," Jisoo and Jennie reply in a single breath. Roseanne rolls her eyes.

"Well. If that happens, the auction will have done its job, and maybe I'll make a new friend. Stop looking at me like that. It's going to be fun."

___

It was easy to say, two weeks ago. Easy to think about, even, helping Jisoo plaster the town in a bright assortment of flyers announcing the event. Raffle! Games! Prizes! Date Auction! Eligible Souls For a Fine Dinner! Bring Your Wallet AND Your Heart!

"This part," she pointed out, eyebrow raised, as she stabbed a finger at the final line--printed in bold letters and underlined in triplicate, "seems a bit much, doesn't it?"

"It's enticing," she replied. "Also, I let my little cousin help sort out the typeface."

Roseanne laughed, imagining the tiny girl she'd once spent a summer chasing around --now nearly eleven, and probably just as cheerful as Roseanne recalls--insisting on the blockiest font possible. It had been endearing. Everything about the idea was endearing.