~3~

"She was married to Shawn Mendes before she started dating Julian. Can you believe that?" a woman said in a loud whisper. "I googled her to confirm it, and it's definitely the same person."

A different voice replied, "Ray just told me!  It's kind of weird Julian never told anyone this information. Poor Julesy must constantly be wondering if he's as good, you know?"

"You dated him in college and always said he was amazing in bed, so maybe he's better than Shawn," the first woman said with a wicked laugh.

"Mm, maybe, but we're talking about the guy crowned 'Sexiest Man Alive' last year. I don't know that anyone could compare."

"I feel like there's a lot more to their break-up story than they let on to the press. Irreconcilable differences could mean anything. Do you think he was abusive? There was a rumor about that after he destroyed his girlfriend's house."

"Or maybe he cheated on her with that model he's married to now!"

Taryn took a deep breath and stepped out of the bathroom stall. Obviously the two women chatting at the sinks had no idea she was in there, because when they saw her, their jaws dropped. "You should never indulge in bathroom gossip unless you are sure you're alone," she said curtly as she washed her hands. "And for the record, Shawn was not abusive and he's not a cheater."

"I'm so sorry," the woman who'd spoken first muttered as the other woman, whose face was bright crimson, nodded.

Instead of saying it was okay, because it wasn't, Taryn left without responding. She walked through the crowded reception area to the bar where Julian stood with a group of his friends. He put an arm around her and gave her a kiss on the temple while one of the guys finished the funny story he was telling. He then turned to the bartender and ordered her a whiskey ginger, since it was one of her favorite mixed drinks.

Taryn took a sip and looked around the room. How many other people had engaged in conversations about her when she wasn't around? She hated that being the ex-Mrs. Mendes drew so much attention, but moreover, it upset her to think about how Jules felt. He never acted as if her marriage to Shawn bothered him, yet comments like the women in the bathroom made surely crossed his mind. Did he worry that he wasn't good enough? Had he intentionally withheld her identity from his friends because it embarrassed him?

"You okay?" he whispered in her ear. "You've got a distinct look of annoyance on your face."

"I overheard two women talking about me in the bathroom."

"Which ones?"

She shook her head. "I'm not going to rat them out. I doubt they are the only ones who find my past intriguing enough to make rude speculations."

"We can leave early if you're not enjoying yourself. My duties as best man are completed," he told her.

That suggestion was out of the question; he deserved to spend as much time with his friends as possible. "Nope. I can handle gossip. It's good to see you having fun with your buddies, and besides, we haven't hit the dance floor yet."

Jules grinned as he took her drink and set it next to his on the bar. He then grabbed her by the hand and led her to the large dance floor where a club remix of Drake's latest hit was playing. He spun her, and the flowing blue skirt of her fancy dress twirled around her legs. The best part of attending this wedding was having an excuse to get dressed up again. She wasn't wearing anything like she'd worn to red carpet events, but she felt prettier than she had in a long time.

"I love you," Jules told her when he pulled her close during a slow song. "I can't wait for us to be dancing at our own wedding."

He'd been subtly pushing her to set a date all weekend. "I thought we weren't in a rush," she said lightly.