Chapter 26: What Happened?

As she watches Octavia leave, a few tears fall from Lexa's eyes and she turns away and slowly and awkwardly makes her way back to her room. She goes to her dresser and takes out clean underwear, a thin cotton shirt and sleeping pants and puts it on. She then removes her bedsheets and tosses it in the laundry basket and puts on a fresh sheet and lays down then takes Octavia's shirt and presses it to her nose and inhales deeply. She smiles as she remembers last night. It was very unlike her to behave that way but still, she couldn't help the smile that formed on her face. Octavia had knotted her three times in just a couple of hours and that was surprising. Most alphas could only knot three times in a day. Not wanting to delve into more questions than answers, she settles more comfortably on her bed and relaxes. It doesn't take long for sleep to claim her.

When Titus and Ava return home, the omega goes into the kitchen and starts preparing breakfast for her family. A delicious meal of hot buttered bread with some eggs, smoked meat, orange juice and some apple and peach slices. She takes out a serving for herself and her mate and the rest is put up for her twins and Lexa. She then heads up to see if Lexa is awake and wants to join them for breakfast. Today is the last day of her heat and usually, at this time, the omega is in better control of her body.

She knocks on the door and calls out for her daughter but she gets no response so she checks the bathroom and it's empty. She goes back and knocks again but still no answer so she opens the door silently thinking that maybe her pup is sleeping but when she enters the room, it's empty and the window is slightly opened. She frowns and looks around. Not wanting to alarm her mate, she silently makes her way out of their home and heads to Lexa's. She knows her daughter well and if Lexa isn't at their house then she would be at her home.

She takes out a spare key Lexa had given her and slowly and silently opens the door and looks around. The house looks the same as it was a week before. She then walks up to Lexa's bedroom and when she opens the door, she's immediately hit with Octavia's scent. It is strong and she sighs heavily. When she enters Lexa's room, she notices her pup peacefully sleeping and in her hand she is holding a black long sleeved shirt nestled close to her nose that Ava recognizes immediately as Octavia's.

"Oh Lexa!" she whispers. She doesn't know if to be happy for her daughter or sad. Ava knows that Octavia has another mate and the thought that the alpha used her daughter upsets her greatly but she also knows that Octavia and Lexa are attracted to each other.

"What is it about these two siblings that attract two mates?" she thinks to herself. She is well aware of Anya and Fay's attraction to Bellamy and knows that the only reason both girls went with Gustus and Ryder was to be close to him but she doesn't worry too much since Anya and Fay have each other but Lexa, she doesn't and that worries her.

She stays a moment in Lexa's house checking that the doors and windows are properly locked before she heads back to check on Lexa. Once she is satisfied, she exits Lexa's home and locks the front door and heads back home. While having breakfast, Titus inquires about Lexa and Ava tells him that she's sleeping.

For the next three days the group travels towards the dropship. Bellamy and his future mates are slowly riding in the back and chatting comfortably while Ash and O are in the middle and Gustus and Ryder are at the front leading. As evening approaches on their second day, they find a suitable sleeping place and Bellamy, O, Gustus and Ryder assemble tents for them to rest then the horses are safely tied to a tree so they can be fed and given water. Once completed, the group sits around a warm fire and eats a plate of smoked deer meat, bread slices, sliced cheese and some herbal tea. After a filling dinner, Ash and O say goodnight and go into the tent they're sharing while Gustus and Ryder go into their respective tents since Anya, Fay and Bellamy take watch so the rest can sleep.