Chapter 44; Somber Nightfall.

Jughead.

'Probably the best town in the entire universe. Even aliens would come here.' SoDale was truly starting to become something of  Hiram's. If the incorporation of the word 'alien' for SoDale's town sign wasn't used to taunt us, then perhaps this was a message from The Mothmen themselves. We were beginning to feel as if we were circling close to the truth, but having been jailbirds had only been a setback. There's always something going on in Riverdale, or instead something brewing, just waiting to make an appearance. 

Monday, 10:30AM, SoDale HQ Carpark.

Archie, Betty & Reggie.

Archie twiddled his thumbs as he leaned back in his seat. "We never finished our conversation from the other night. If we don't get arrested or cross paths with death today, would you wanna have dinner tonight at Little Sorcerio's?" He wondered, slowing gazing up to meet her eyes.

A short smile smeared across Betty's face. "Yeah, that would be nice." She responded happily.

Archie felt overcome by relief. "That should be great then." 

Betty's tone shifted to a certain degree of seriousness as she glanced over at her phone for notifications. 

One in particular from Cheryl. "The snake is on the move." Cheryl texted.

Betty reached for the car door. "It's time to go catch ourselves a snake." 

In the distance, through a moulded cloud of engine smoke, appeared Reggie exiting out of the apartment building where Hiram lives. Kicking up a beat along the fresh tar road with cheesy doritos clutched in his left hand, he spotted Betty's sedan parked in the carpark. 

Reggie inhaled sharply with his lips creating a perculiar oval shape. "Oh, crap." He muttered to himself, dipping his head, trying to avoid staring in that direction.

Reggie's ears caught on to the sound of pacing in the direction he came, until he felt a force shove his back causing him to jolt. Twisting around, he discovered Betty and Archie. 

Reggie forced a playful smile. "Oh hey, guys." He spoke softly with a witty voice full of remorse.

Betty tilted her head to the side, also forcing a smile. "Oh hey, Reg. You got something you want to tell us?" She insisted, giving him a chance to explain himself knowing that he did find her in TBK's new lair.

Reggie exhaled, shifting his eyes to the ground. "It's not what it looks like." He claimed with a discouraged expression, knowing that there was no way he could get out of this one. 

Archie shook his head as a look of disappointment washed over his face. "We know you set us up, Reggie. I thought you finally went straight again, coming back to our side. We trusted you!" He practically yelled.

"Bro, I know. I had to find a way to gain Hiram's trust back. And now that I have it, you guys have an inside man-"

Betty placed her hands on her hips. "How can we be sure that we can trust you after everything?" She began impatiently. "Something made you turn to Hiram's side. If it's something along the lines of money, how can we be sure that we can trust you." She explained.

Reggie clasped his hands together, almost in a motion of begging. "I started off as Hiram's errand boy and his main car dealer. I guess power felt good for a change, but once you guys returned to Riverdale it opened my eyes to the truth and made me question why I was doing this. Look, I'll tell you about Hiram's new plans. I'll help you take him down. How's that for trust?" 

Betty sighed as she stared at Reggie hopingly. "That's a good start, but there's something else you can do for us first." 

As the three continued talking, Hiram paced away from his apartment window, taking in the possibilities of Reggie's encounter with Betty and Archie.