Chapter 17; Secrets & Lies.

Jughead.

It was supposed to be a secret. Something only Betty and Archie were supposed to be aware of. Instead, like wildfire, it spread. People they thought that they knew held secrets, darker secrets that blurred the line with no involvement in this mystery. After Betty and Archie did several investigations on their late friend, Kevin Keller or so everyone thought, their theories were only drawn back to one thing. Where in Riverdale lied a mine and why was the Auteur purposely trying to lead them closer instead of awry?

Sunday, 7AM, 4 Seasons. 

'Only ever so slowly was Kevin's funeral emerging. His father Tom, requested that the ceremony was to be held at Sweetwater River to not just revisit the horror of his son's death, but to also pay remembrance to others that had been lost over the past decade.' Veronica pulls the newspaper away from her face, letting herself extract the information.

Veronica lets out a tired sigh, shifting in her seat. "This can't be it for Kevin, there has to be more to what happened." She winced quietly.

She could remember this feeling around her. The sad, empty house type of feeling. A feeling that lingered through some of her childhood. In these times she would often find herself trying to keep busy to avoid this sensation. 

She could feel that something didn't feel right with what happened to Kevin. Tragic, even. Though, through the blunt, toxic life she's been living in the past 7 years, she knew that it was finally time to return to her redemptive self. 

8:36 AM, 4 Seasons. 

The following day, Veronica knew Chad was up to something. It had explained why he was trying to run her back out of town and to New York. 

Reaching for the door, she resisted. Veronica could feel the truth forcing its way out. She had a sinking feeling that what she was about to do wasn't going to work. 

She turned. At first, she avoided Chad's gaze by making quick eye contact with her suitcase, planted below her feet. 

"Is something wrong? Did you forget something?" Chad asked abruptly, rolling his suitcase to the door. 

Veronica sighed and averted her gaze. "Yeah, I did forget something. I forget the real reason why I came back to Riverdale in the first place. Now, I'm finally going to do something about it."

"You can go back to New York if you want Chad, but I'm staying. At least, until this situation is dealt with. I just can't go back right now." Veronica continued.

The look in Chad's eyes were a mixture of confusion and anger. "Was there another reason why Chad wanted me out of town? Of course there was, it's Riverdale. He's probably doing shady deals with my father." Veronica thought to herself.

Veronica shifted her weight to one side and turned back around. She exhaled and waited for what Chad was going to say.

"Where do you think you're going?" Chad exclaimed with disbelief in his tone.

A feeling of hope washed over Veronica. "I'm going to find out what really happened to Kevin."

Veronica barged open the hotel room and quickly made her way to her car before Chad could reply. 

Veronica needed to think fast. She didn't have her usual gang to help her solve crimes. So, the first thing she could think of doing was to follow the suspect. "Suspect? What suspect?" Veronica thought to herself. Just as she had that thought, another quickly came to mind. Chad emerged into the car in front."I guess I start with Chad." She told herself quietly before driving off to follow him.