Chapter 16; The Auteur Returns.

Jughead.

Fear. One of the most basic human emotions. However, largely, there are colourful displays of  expressions that are presented through fear. Even as kids, we're basically afraid of everything new and scary. Things like the dark, and the stories of the monster under the bed. By the morning dawns we've praid they've gone away. Though over time, they never do. At least, not really. Even to this day, these things that we left behind us so many moons ago have returned. For example the Auteur, a topic we all put behind us or buried deep long ago, to only come to the realisation that the fear that the Auteur manifested was only yet to return. 

Saturday, 7:33 AM, Betty's House.

Betty gently slides the tape into the tape deck, whisking her hands back away as she turns her head side to side looking for the remote. To her right was Archie, sitting on the end of her bed, taking in what next might be revealed. Betty lets her hair out, and slides onto the edge of the bed, giving Archie a look.

"Are you ready Arch?" Betty asked sharply, gliding her arm along the bed reaching the remote.

"Yeah, ready." Archie replied tensely, clutching his hands together.

Pressing play on the remote, flashbacks come to mind of the previous Auteur tapes and the impact that unbalanced their lives forever. The hours of their homes being recorded, the re-enacted death videos of Jason, Midge and Jughead's blow to the head along with latest one. Prom. The tape of Archie and Betty kissing during their music rehearsal in Archie's garage. The sudden flood of guilt drenched them, but with not enough time to process this on-coming thought like it was a storm, another wave hit them. 

The new tape. This tape opened Archie and Betty's eyes to reveal a plain, dark room. A basement, if not. The camera moved around the basement to reveal a workbench of tools with things like diggers, pickaxes and head torches. Once the camera made a 360 turn, it circled its way to a chair. One where a man in a janitor's uniform sat. Better yet, Kevin. Looking deranged as ever, his arms and legs tied to a chair. Slowly, he looks up to reveal that he, just like the other videos, is in a mask. A Kevin mask. 

To Betty this could only mean one thing. Betty gulped. "Kevin's alive." 

"Well, do you think that means that this Auteur is holding him hostage?" Archie wondered, wondering if this tape is a hoax, a fake or if there's actually some truth behind this abominable video tape. 

"I'm not going to rush to any conclusions, we're not even completely sure if the Auteur is back, let alone holding Kevin hostage. But, I'm not going to let this slide either. I think our first priority is finding out where this basement is." Betty concluded with a more haunted gaze than before they started, urging her to get up on her feet and do something productive. 

Archie also stood up. "Good plan, but they never did find Kevin's body, and this is Riverdale so there's a chance!" Archie exclaimed with a glimmer of hope. 

"Exactly why we need to ensure that this isn't a hoax."