Chapter 20; Bad To Worse.

Jughead.

There it was once again. Once Riverdale gained some of its innocence back, it lost it again. Through the darkness that manifested upon our return to Riverdale, some, through this havoc, thought they'd found a purpose. Take Archie Andrews, an ex-soldier turned firefighter. He's been waiting years to find a purpose, something to turn him into a hero. However, the rest of us, a hero? No, we're just trying to help Kevin and are trying to remember a world back outside Riverdale that currently feels unimaginable. 

10:28 PM, Lubberts Lane.

Archie.

Archie wasn't the first to arrive on the scene, but as he did, his vision grew impaired to the sight before him. It wasn't Riverdale that was ablaze, it was the Southside. It started with Fox Forest and Crystal Lake then grew to Sunnyside Trailer Park, Whyte Wyrm and so on. 

Archie felt frozen, unable to move. He'd never done a job like this. His eyes shifted to a little girl and her mother leaving their trailer, as they ran away from the fire, the little girl raced back inside to retrieve something. Archie finally felt himself moving. He darted over there, then he scooped up the little girl, just as she reached for the fiery trailer. As Archie made his way back over to the girl's mother. A man yelled from a distance. "Archie! We need you up in Fox Forest!" Another firefighter yelled. "Ok, coming." Archie shouted back.

8:32 AM, Topaz House, Elm Street

Toni & Cheryl.

Toni cleared her throat, as she reached for the doorbell. She shifted her eyes back to Cheryl.

"Should we really be doing this?" Toni asked in desperation to leave. 

Cheryl placed a hand on Toni's shoulder. 

"Yes. It's time Tee-Tee, they'll never accept who you are, unless you show them."  

Gently, Toni glided her finger along the doorbell to the button. Taking a deep breath in, she pressed it.

The doorbell had a warm, vibrant sound, a familiar sound that reminded her of her childhood and the feeling of home. But also the flooding memories of her last visit that made her not reconnect with her family until recently.

The door then unlocked and swung open.

This time, an elderly woman emerged. Toni's mother. The only person who called Toni, Antoniette. She looked almost the same as Toni, but older with shoulder-length gray hair. The last she saw of her mother was during Christmas of 2016.

Her mother reached out for a hug, unexpectedly pulling Toni in close. Just as they pulled away, her mother extended a hand to Cheryl. 

"Nice to meet you, Mrs Topaz." Cheryl said delightedly.

"Nice to meet you too, Cheryl." Toni's mother replied, inviting them in.