Sixteen:

Sixteen

It was strange, Mal couldn't help but think, having Alina there and his. He remembered when she had first shown up when they were little. All knees and elbows and the prettiest brown eyes that he had ever seen. They had spent time playing together as kids, and he remembered thinking that for the first time, he had someone that was his.

While he was always grateful the Morozova's had taken him in, he always felt like the odd man out. Aleksander was the oldest son. The heir. He was going to inherit everything. There was more time spent on him than Mal, and while he understood it, it didn't mean it hurt any less. Baghra paid attention to him.

Mal was kind of an inconvenient guest. Alina didn't treat him like that. They had just been Mal and Alina. He had never believed that he was going to end up sharing her with Aleksander. He had always thought that they were going to be together. That maybe they'd meet up at college, or when she came up to visit her aunt again.

But Genya had hurt too much. He'd been too paranoid. And Aleksander had been too cruel. When Aleksander and Alina left, Mal was stuck at home. Since it was summer, he had very little to do. He could go into the office if he wanted but until he graduated it felt more like he was being humored than actually working.

He decided to spend his day in the pool. He was lounging on a raft when a shadow fell over him. Ana's grim face looked down at him. "Young Mr. Morozova."

He tumbled out of the raft, into the water, startled by her appearance. He remembered everything that he had done to Alina that night and in the morning and guilt filmed him. "Hi, Ana. How can I help you today?"

"You wouldn't happen to know where my niece is, would you?" Ana said. "I know that your brother has her living in the main house to help out because of the internship. But she's still my niece. I've got to keep track of her. She's a young girl, and I worry."

Mal coughed. "Alina's fine. She went out shopping."

"Shopping?" Ana said. "She doesn't have any money."

"Aleks gave her a bit of an advance and sent her out with one of our friends. We know that she doesn't know many people in the area because of her time away. Thought it might be good for her to hang out with someone besides us for a change."

Ana sighed. "Okay. Have her come visit me when she gets the chance, alright? Just because she's at The Great House doesn't mean I stop being her aunt."

"Of course not," said Mal.

"And Young Mr. Morozova-----"

"Yes?"

"Is anything happening between the two of you?" Ana asked.

Mal coughed. "What makes you say that?"

"I saw you two sneaking out the other night, and then she was mysteriously moved into your house. I know that you two formed a connection when she was away. Writing each other, calling each other...."

He didn't know what to do. He didn't want to give Ana the wrong impression about him. Or about Alina. But he knew that whatever popped into her mouth would change everything going forward.

"We're dating!" he blurted.

Ana raised an eyebrow. "You're dating?"

He nodded. "It kind of happened suddenly, because of everything with her parents we didn't want to say anything. But I've been in love with her since we were kids, and I didn't want to waste anymore time. Seemed appropriate, given the circumstances...all I want to do is to take care of her, Ana. That's it. Does that make me a villain?"

Ana's eyes softened. "Well, I guess that doesn't sound so unreasonable. You're both eighteen. But please let Alina know she doesn't have to stay away if she doesn't want to. She's not intruding. She's family."

"Right," said Mal, "I'll be sure to tell her."

"Good. And this goes without saying but please make sure that nothing happens with your brother."

Mal frowned. "Why? What's wrong with Aleks?"

"He's older, for a start," said Ana, "and I remember everything that happened with Genya...including that horrible night."

"What horrible night?" Mal asked.

"There was a night.... your parents' anniversary, when you were still in school. Two years ago? She showed up and she was a nervous wreck. Of course, by that point, things had ended with you. But she insisted she was there to see Mr. Morozova. I think it was a week before the accident."

"Genya never told me that. Aleks never told me that."

"Can't imagine that was something she would have felt comfortable talking about. Aleksander practically threw her off the property. It was rather a violent altercation from what I remember. I had to pull her off the property."

"He did?" he was trying to hide the distraught tone in his voice. But it was hard, as he was suddenly overwhelmed with the urge to punch his brothers face in. Something that he hadn't felt in a long time.

"Yes," said Ana, "he did. Your brother has a habit of taking what he wants without asking. I want you to be careful with Alina. She's already had enough hurt in her life. She doesn't need anymore. You'll take care of her for me, won't you?"

 "Yeah, of course," said Mal, "she's one of my best friends. I'll always take care of her, Ana. Alina is always safe when she is with me. You don't have to worry about her, I promise. I'll keep her away from Aleks. You don't have to worry."