Sixty:

Sixty:

It had been a very long time since Alina had seen either of the older Morozovas. She could not recall ever seeing the Morozova's together in the time that she had stayed at The Great House. But they were both there at Mal's funeral which surprised both Alina and Aleksander. "Mom," said Aleksander, "dad."

His mom went and wrapped her arms around him tightly. "Oh, my son. I'm so sorry this happened. You've lost your cousin."

"Brother," Aleksander reminded her, "Mal was my brother, Mom. You adopted him, remember?"

His mother bristled. "I know, Aleks. We're the one that spent years taking care of him."

Aleksander frowned.

"Oh, don't act so disgruntled, son," said his father, coming up to the two of them, "it isn't as if you actually cared for him either. We took him in because he was your cousin. That was the only reason. You two always hated each other. You were constantly at each other's throats, and you always wanted to get the better of him. Well, now you've got everything. Your complete inheritance and the girl that he was in love with. Although, your mother and I were wondering, is she pregnant?"

Alina stepped forward then. "I'm sorry----what did you just ask?"

"Well, we have to ask," said Mr. Morozova, "you saw the scandal that happened with Petyr Lantsov. We can't afford to have things happen the same way with you and Miss Starkov."

"I'm not pregnant," Alina said.

"She isn't," Aleksander added, "not that its any of your business. And I didn't take Alina from Mal. I was with Alina first. In fact, Mal and I got along great, because we shared girls instead of fought over them. Alina belonged to both of us."

Both of his parents squinted in confusion. "You.... you shared girls?" stammered his father.

"Yes," said Aleksander, "we have, ever since we got into those fights over Genya. Zoya and Nina, amongst others. But Alina is the one that we have always been in love with ever since we were children. There was no stealing. She belonged to both of us."

"She's a servant," said his mother, "you could surely do better, Aleksander."

"Alina was never a servant. Some of her family happened to work for us. Not that it should matter. I love her, and she loves me, and that's the only thing that matters in the end. We're getting married and starting a family together. If you can't support that, don't come to the wedding."

"Are you forgetting who you work for, son?" his father asked.

"Yeah, about that," said Aleksander, "I knew that you would react this way, so I contacted Nikolai and we're going to be going into business together. So as of today, I resign from working for you, father."

"Oh, come on Aleksander. Don't be a fool. You're supposed to inherit the company."

"Your company is tainted now too, father. You did business with Petyr Lantsov. I'm doing what I should have been brave enough to do ages ago. I am going to step out on my own and be my own man, exactly the way that Mal did. I will not work for someone who disrespects my wife, after all."

Alina smiled, and looked up at Aleksander. "Aleks, you don't have to do that. I know that the company is really important to you. I would understand if you wanted to continue working for your father. I don't want to be responsible for a rift between you two."

"Listen to her, son," his father said, "at least she's smart and has sense."

"Alina has a million things that are great about her that you will never know because I won't allow her to put up with your cruelty. I meant what I said. I am going into business with Nikolai Lantsov, we are starting a new company, and we are getting away from your taint, father. The old ways are dead, and it is time for a new generation to take over."

"You're a fool, boy. You've no idea what you're giving up. You'll be sorry."

"I've made my own fortune with my other investments, and I have Alina. I refuse to be part of a home that doesn't care anymore. The home that I build will have love, and affection. And it will be nothing like the emotionless one that you have built for me. And I'm taking The Great House. It is in my name after all since I helped father redo it the last time and my family is going to make their home there. Alina loves that house. It has been her summer home too, and it will be her home permanently now."

"You can't!" his mother said. "Aleksander, where else will we go?"

"You still have five homes mother," said Aleksander, "you'll figure it out, I'm sure."

Alina looked up at him. "Aleks, that's not necessary."

"I'm going to give you absolutely everything that you want," said Aleksander, "and that includes The Great House. Now, if you'll excuse me, I am taking Alina, and we are going home. And by home, I mean The Great House. I'll send your things later."

Aleksander looped her arm through hers, and they turned away from Mals grave. Alina had placed flowers into it once he had been lowered into the ground and buried. He was at rest now, she hoped. And now, she had a whole life to spend with Aleksander. They got into the black sedan that drove them to the graveyard earlier that morning.

"Are you sure about all this?" Alina asked. "You don't have to walk away from your family company. I would understand if you wanted to keep up the tradition and continue to work for your father."

"We might have been related by blood, but he was never really my family. Neither was my mother. It was always Mal. They never honored anyone I cared about and I won't be part of a family that doesn't honor those that I care about."

She reached out and stroked his cheek. "You're not the monster everyone thinks you are, you know that?"

"I know you know that," he said, kissing her, "and that is all that matters."