Forty:

Forty:

The last thing that Aleksander wanted was to see Genya Safin outside his vacation home. He had done everything he could for the girl. He couldn't imagine what she could possibly want. But Alina refused to talk to him until he talked with her, so he met Genya outside. To his surprise, Genya started crying the moment that she saw him. "Aleks!" she sobbed. "Someone's found out the truth."

"What?" Aleksander was certain that he'd heard wrong.

"I couldn't go through with it, Aleksander. I couldn't give him up. So, I kept him. But Nikolai's there at the engagement party----"

"Why?"

"You know I'm friends with Zoya!" Genya reminded him. "I couldn't exactly invite her, and not invite him. Besides, my mother helped me with a plan. She always wanted another child. So, she was going to---"

"We decided you wouldn't keep it!" Aleksander said. "That was part of the deal!"

"You don't know what it's like!" Genya shouted back at him. "You weren't there! You didn't---"

"I gave you the money for your company. I kept you safe. What more do you want?"

"I want Mal to stop thinking I'm the whore that broke his heart! He deserves to know the truth, Aleks."

"The truth will wreck him, Genya! You signed a contract. I signed a contract. This isn't a game that you're playing, Genya. The people that you're involved with are dangerous. If Nikolai finds out what happened----"

"Then he'll know what a monster his father is! Maybe he can even make his company better by getting away from him," said Genya. "I wasn't the one that did something wrong, Aleksander. I just happened to be at your house while your father had one of his business partners there. That was the only mistake I made, Aleksander. I was there."

Aleksander held his head. He knew she was right. Genya was not, by any means, the villain of this story. She had done nothing wrong. But there were too many truths that had been tangled up. To be untangled, it would ruin everything. Including what he had with Alina. That was something that he wouldn't give up. No matter what it might mean.

"He's going to be there," said Genya, "my father invited him. I tried telling him that I didn't want him there, that it was my wedding, but my father wouldn't listen. He's going to see, and he's going to find out----"

"Bring him here," Aleksander said.

"What?" Genya looked at him with surprise.

"Bring the boy here. Keep him here during the engagement party."

"Mal's coming to the engagement party, and if we send him here, he might see him."

"Don't worry about it. I'll think of something," said Aleksander, "just make sure that you bring him here. We'll figure it out. I'll text you when Mal leaves. Send your mother."

"My father thinks mum adopted him because she needed someone to keep her from being lonely. He has no idea the truth..."

"And he shouldn't," said Aleksander, "if your mother hadn't signed an NDA, it would be dangerous for her to know too. But you still didn't do what you were supposed to do, Genya. That man---Nikolai's father----he could take everything from you. Especially because, you know as well as I do, that there are rumors about Nikolai not being his son."

"You don't think I know the danger that I'm in?" Genya asked. "Why do you think I hate lying? Mal's here, and he's snooping and he's going to be driven mad by jealousy the way that he was before. That time, it resulted in the car wreck, and I almost lost my son then. I won't lose him because of Mal's snooping and stupidity again. Please, please just---"

"I'll help you keep your son, Genya," Aleksander said, "but I will not break the contract I signed. I keep my promises. No matter how terrible they might be."

Genya sneered at him. "Well, as long as you have your honor, that's what matters isn't it?"

"Genya---"

"Thank you for the help, Aleksander. It won't help when Mal gets jealous and decides to go to the papers because he thinks that the child is yours. Or worse, your fathers. Glad to know where you stand. And he talked about some letter I sent him? I didn't write him any letter."

"I know," said Aleksander, "I wrote it."

"You implicated yourself," said Genya, "that's why he hates you, you know."

"I'd rather have him hate me then use his anger to take on someone he wouldn't survive taking on."

Genya stared at him for a good, long while. "You promise you aren't trying to trick me?"

"Have I ever steered you wrong?" Aleksander asked.

She didn't answer. All she did was nod. She walked off, and Aleksander watched her leave. When she was gone, Aleksander went inside. From upstairs, he could hear Mal and Alina fucking. Alina's orgasms echoed through the house. He clenched his fists, angry that it wasn't him making her make those sounds.

Finally, he forced a cool look on his face, and then he went up the stairs to the guest bedroom. He could see Mal gripping the headboard, thrusting into Alina. Mal grunted as he came, and Alina let out a cry of ecstasy.

Aleksander coughed. "Mind if I join?"

Mal looked over his shoulder and grinned. "Of course, brother."