Fifty-seven:

Fifty-seven:

Aleksander got the call late at night. He was still on the couch with Alina on it, half asleep on his shoulder. It was Brekkers number that flashed on the screen. He answered it. "Hello?"

"Morozova," said Brekker, "we found the girl. We've got her at the hospital. She's a complete and total mess. She keeps on ranting about Oretsev. There's something that you should know, too...."

"What's that?" Aleksander asked.

"She's been saying that Mika was Mal's kid, not Petyrs."

Aleksander frowned. "I asked her about that. Why would she lie?"

"She says that she lied to keep Mal safe, because she knew that Petyr would think that the child was his, and she didn't want him hurt. So, you've got a nephew Morozova. Do with that what you will."

"But she's alive?" Aleksander said.

"She's alive. She's got a head wound and will probably have a concussion. But other then that she's fine. Well, as fine as a person can be for someone that has just escaped being kidnapped by Pekka Rollins."

"Pekka Rollins," Aleksander growled, "that's the bastard, the one that killed Mal."

"Yeah, he's who Petyr uses all of his dirty work."

"I'll call her fiancé and have him come and pick her up. She'll be good as new. Thank you for letting me know, Brekker."

"Of course. Oh, and there's something else that you should know. One of the places on that list of businesses that Petyr is involved in is The Menagerie. One of the girls that works for me---"

"Just say Inej, Brekker. It won't kill you. Everyone knows that you've got feelings for a girl."

There was a long pause. "Feelings are a weakness, Morozova. You should remember that since people around you are dropping like flies. And you've got that pretty young thing living with you now. Petyr won't stop, you know. Not until he gets the justice that he thinks that he deserves."

"Petyr does his dirty work. He's got his own man. I've got mine. Don't worry, Brekker. I will take care of everything, I promise you."

"Alright. Whatever you say."

The call ended, and when it did, he nudged Alina awake. She stirred in her sleep, her eyes fluttering and looking up at him. "Aleks?" she whispered. "What's going on?"

"They found Genya," he said with a smile, "she's alive...and there's something else you should know..."

"What is that?"

"Mika doesn't belong to Petyr. Mika belongs to Mal. It's Mals son," Aleksander said, "we still have part of him with us, Alina. We always will."

Alina wasn't fully awake. "Mika's Mals?"

"Yes, Alina. Mika is Mals son. So we're always going to have part of Mal. We'll make sure that he's taken care of."

"I need to see Genya," Alina said, "I need to find out what she wants to do."