Chapter 79

Warnings: You can already tell if you made it this far

Rating: SFW

"Sora, you don't believe that. I know you don't," Riku said. He walked forward as the Demon Tide swirled closer. He planted his foot on the ground and raised his Keyblade, shielding Sora. As the Tide approached, he slammed his blade into the swarm, the force of the wind blowing through their clothes. He raged against the force of the Tide, his body blackening as Sora watched. Even with all of his strength, the Heartless overtook him and proceeded to wash over Sora. Sora floated in the abyss as streaks of light passed over him. He awoke, seeing the light ahead of him.

"Riku!" he cried as he reached toward the light. "Riku! Answer me!"

The light grew brighter as he flew closer. Soaring into the light, he found himself in familiar territory.

"This is Herc's world. Is Riku here?" he said as he ascended the golden stairs warily. "There's no one here."

"Gee, I'm here!" Jiminy said as he popped out of Sora's hood and into his hand.

"Jiminy! You're okay!" Sora said.

"Well, 'okay' might be a stretch, but what are we waitin' for? We need to find the others!" Sora smiled down at him.

"Right!" he said. Sora proceeded into the Courtyard, finding a transparent comatose Riku floating above a massive golden sacrificial tripod.

"Riku!" he shouted. He rushed toward him and a swirling cloud of darkness appeared above Riku. It coalesced into a Heartless holding a large staff and trailing chains beneath it: The Lich. It gazed down at Riku with its glowing yellow eyes, holding out a hand over his body. Riku's heart appeared over him and the Lich encircled it with chains to Sora's horror. The heart vanished and the Lich floated toward the Corridors. Sora pursued the Lich through the archway, finding a group of Shadow and Neoshadow Heartless in the way.

"Forget the small fry! We gotta go after the one in charge," Jiminy said. Sora blasted through them and raced to the Cloud Ridge, more Heartless appearing before him.

"We'll never stop 'em all. Leave 'em, Sora. We gotta keep going!" Jiminy said. The Lich flew into a dark portal and Sora followed. It took him up to the Apex where the Lich waited. The Heartless shot fireballs at Sora, but he dodged and pummeled the Lich until Riku's heart flew out of him. The chains shattered and the Lich escaped through the portal once more.

"Hey! Wait!" Sora shouted. The heart floated away into the air and Jiminy appeared.

"There's no need to worry, Sora. He'll return to the place he fell, like you did. We gotta focus on rescuing the others," he said.

"Okay!" The two of them followed the Lich through the portal. They found themselves floating in starlit space with fourteen portals beneath them.

"That scoundrel musta fled into one of those pools of shadow that're down below us," Jiminy said.

"Where do they lead?" Sora asked.

"Well, I think they might be portals to other worlds."

"Okay! Maybe that's where we'll find the others."

"If we hurry!" Sora fell through a portal and found himself in the Caribbean aboard a damaged pirate ship. The Lich chained Aqua and Celina's hearts and attacked Sora with bullets of water. Sora dodged the attack and the Lich summoned Vaporflies which honed in on Sora. As Sora fought the Vaporflies, the Lich created images of itself. Sora struck down a Vaporfly as one of the mirages exploded near him, sending him flying. He shook it off and struck back at the Lich until it gave up Aqua and Celina's hearts. The hearts floated away and the Lich escaped again.