Chapter- 27

"That man, who took me to the orphanage was Ben, my mother's younger brother. He hated me", he said taking a deep breath.

"Do you hate him too?", I asked.

"No, In fact I thank him for taking me to a safe home, it was better than anywhere", he replied, wiping his tears.

I hugged him tight not because I pitied him but because I know how hard it is to be left alone and he have been strong enough to live on.

"Miles. You are the best. And you are strong and you did really well on your own . . . . and you are amazing. That's why I love you, I love you so so so much", tears were already all over my cheeks.

"I love you so much more than I could express", and he kissed my forehead. "Please don't cry."

I nodded and wiped my tears off my face and taking a deep inhale and exhale, I looked at the ticking watch, which Miles gifted me.

It was already dark but the snow was still falling on us as if it was the last day for them to touch the earth.

"The snow. Everytime something happens in my life, it always seem to happen when it snows, that's why I call it Snowfall change." I said looking at the sky.

"Really?'

I nodded.

"So what is the change this time?", he asked. My hands were already in his pocket tangled with his.

"I don't have a specific one because a lot had happened this snowfall", I replied.

"Indeed. A lot had happened in life but you know what I feel about it?"

"What"

"I feel so glad for everything that had happened in life. You, Drey, my parents and everyone." he finally smiled.

I saw the glow in his eyes, they say the eyes are the window to the soul and yes, it is indeed true, I saw everything his soul felt.

"I was wrong, I thought Miles was my first love". He looked confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Matthew was my first love. I didn't realize it but when I went home I started missing him all day and I knew it was love", I smiled.

He gave a breathy laugh, "You surely do know how to flutter my heart"

"I do?"

"Yes you do."

We stared at each other's eyes in silence  and listened to our heart beats together just like a melody.

~~~

The room door was slightly open and as we walked in, Drey was no where to be found.

"Drey?? Where did he go?", I asked.

"I'll call him." Miles replied, pulling out his phone and  dialed Drey's number.

After some seconds of waiting, he picked up the call.

"What are you Drey?", Miles asked. "Ohhk we are coming there."

"Where is he?", I asked.

"The lobby"

We ran towards the lobby and found him sitting alone in a corner.

"Drey, you should be in your room", I said breathing heavily.

"Come on, I'm as adult as you", he replied.

Miles and I set beside him.

"So you knew it from the beginning?", I asked.

"Yes, I did, about him and you too"

"Me?"

"Ellevi told me long ago." he replied looking at me. "About your past"

"He did?", he touched me with his blue eyes and all I saw was fear.

"It must have been hard for you." Miles said putting his hands on Drey's shoulders.

Drey shook his head and tears filled his eyes, "It must have been hard for everyone."

Miles hugged him and started to cry. I felt my cry stuck in my neck, my sight was filled with pain and all I could wish for was for him to live a little longer.

Drey became so thin, sitting on the bed all day long and all the medications, smiling at us despite the pain inside, he was strong, so strong. He had all the weight on him, physical, emotional, and mental weight. He was ready, ready to depart from earth.

"When I'm gone", he said with tears filling his chin, "Live your live to the fullest. Miles, you go and become a photographer and Levi go back to work and become ten times more successful. Will you guys do that for me?"

I shut my eyes closed and my tears kept flowing and flowing down my cheek, the pain on my chest became deeper and deeper knowing my best friend was at the edge of his life when I couldn't let him go, knowing that we  could live longer but he couldn't.

"Now that we are here just like old times, I can finally go in peace."

*                      *                             *                              *                           *                             *                       *